Do you long to make a difference in the lives of thousands of other homeschoolers? Do you or your children desire the opportunity to utilize skills and gain experience for the “real world”?
At HEAV, you and your children can accomplish all of these things and help the homeschool community in a big way! A lot of the work at HEAV is done by volunteers—busy families just like yours who see a need and get involved! HEAV volunteers are an integral part of making a difference for homeschoolers in our state. Whether you’re interested in helping out right from your own home, at the office, as an intern, or at the convention, we need your help to effectively support homeschoolers and let others know about the wonderful world of homeschooling!
We’ve Made it Easy!Whether you are interested in helping year round or just once a year for a few hours at convention, you can make a difference at HEAV! Simply fill out a checklist, and someone will contact you with more information. Take some time out of your busy schedule to volunteer with HEAV, and be blessed in the process! General Volunteer Application
Volunteer BenefitsDepending on the volunteer position you choose, you may be eligible for a variety of benefits. President’s Volunteer Service Award (all volunteers with sufficient volunteer hours) Early shopping at the Used Curriculum Sale (convention volunteers) Skill development and office training (internship/volunteers) Turn your volunteer hours into HEAV products or event registrations through the VIP Program (office volunteers) Above all, your efforts will be helping to build families and encourage parents to raise the next generation on a solid foundation!
Title: Marketing Manager
Purpose: to assist the publications director with HEAV’s community outreach and marketing efforts.
Works closely with:
Publications Director Executive Director Convention Director Director of Outreach
- Really LOVES our mission and can articulate it in a way the public can hear.
- Ability to develop and manage a team
- High degree of organizational skills, especially digital organization
- Excellent phone and people skills
- Willingness to go above and beyond time commitments at time to spread message
- Familiarity with the Virginia homeschooling market.
Hours: Average 10 hours/week; hours will vary greatly depending upon the time of year and projects in progress.
Stipend Position: small stipend is available.
- Collaborate in the development of the 2019 marketing plan and assist the publications director to ensure it is carried out
- Write marketing e-mails to support group leaders, Outreach Partners, vendors, and others to publicize upcoming events
- Develop and manage a team of motivated volunteers to work in each area of outreach
- Contact radio and TV stations to initiate and coordinate interviews
- Write press releases and public-service announcements and ensure that they are submitted to appropriate media outlets
- Contact vendors and marketing personnel to promote the convention
- Develop and maintain up-to-date contact lists for churches, online calendars, newspapers, magazines, and radio stations
- Update press packet to hand out at the convention
Remember the questions YOU had as a brand-new homeschooler? How about sharing some of what you learned by volunteering as a phone counselor?
- Training is provided
Initial three-hours training will be conducted by Yvonne Bunn at the HEAV office in Richmond in January.
- Flexible Hours
Beginning in January, volunteers should be able to volunteer to answer questions by phone.
- Work from Home
The phone calls will be transferred through our phone system directly to your home or cell phone number. Callers will not see your number, and your phone number does not need to be published. You should have access to a computer, as much information is located on our website which can be easily accessed when taking calls.
Interested? Send a brief resume with background and experience to Ann Miranda at email@example.com.
Do you love social media? Need a reason to be on Facebook? This is a fun, fast-paced volunteer position perfect for an experienced homeschooler who is tuned in to HEAV, Facebook, and Instagram (or is willing to learn!). Keep your finger on the pulse of homeschooling!
The Facebook moderator will work closely with the director of publications & marking and the social media manager.
- Monitors the Facebook group page
- Serves as the eyes and ears of HEAV, answering questions or tagging HEAV directors or coordinators to answer when appropriate
- Approves new users and performing other maintenance tasks corresponds with FB posts through PM when necessary to clarify HEAV posting policies
If interested–or if you have questions–contact Maureen Bittner at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The graphic design assistant or intern is responsible for updating, revising, or creating new graphical materials as necessary. Materials will include such items as web banners, e-mail graphics, name badges, tickets, brochure, fliers, logos, etc. Extensive experience is not required, but applicants do need to have an eye for design, attention to detail, a good Internet connection, and experience with (as well as a working copy of) Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. The work can all be done from home. This position is ideal for someone with experience who wants a creative outlet or a mature young person looking for an opportunity to try out and grow his or her talent. Possible small stipend.
Required skills, strengths, and abilities
- Ability to work independently, yet welcome group input and suggestions
- Strong graphical skills
- Ability to be creative and add freshness while maintaining consistency within HEAV’s graphics
- Access to a working copy of–and experience with–Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Ability to work across platforms
- Hi-speed Internet connection
Ongoing responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Update, revise, or create new graphics as necessary
- Review projects and give estimate of time to complete
- Contact person requesting graphic to make sure needs are fully understood
- When necessary, verify specifications with printer to make sure design is done to the correct specs
- Work with graphic designer, publications director, or communications manager on content.
- Send draft to needed people and incorporate their changes until finished
Sound interesting? Send information about yourself and samples of your work or a portfolio to Maureen Bittner at email@example.com with Graphic Assistant Position in the subject line.
Amazingly, the convention relies on 600+ volunteers to run smoothly! Volunteering has never been easier—simply fill out our Volunteer Application and someone will contact you with more information. For more details, see our Volunteer FAQs. Don’t forget, volunteers shop first at the Used Curriculum Sale! Volunteering at the Convention
Do you love children and have a heart to serve? Can you help provide a welcoming and exciting environment for little ones? If so, please consider volunteering at this year’s Children’s Program! We need full-time adult and mature-teen leaders to help all day Friday and Saturday, as well as some one-day assistants. Volunteering at the Children’s Program
Can you help us pass along information about the convention and HEAV events? We’ve found the best way to encourage involvement in HEAV activities and events is through “word of mouth,” and we are looking for help from people who are willing to pass along information about upcoming seminars and events (such as next year’s convention!) to their community, churches, online groups, MOPS group, etc.
Our Outreach Partner program makes it almost effortless! We’ll send you ready-to-go announcements and information that you can forward along to your church or group, or post in your community. Outreach Partner Volunteer
Our goal at HEAV is to always provide a “live” voice on the phone during normal office hours. With limited staffing and a lot of data-entry and clerical work, we need help to accomplish this goal.
As a way to say, “Thank you” to those volunteers who help us answer the phone or provide basic office support, we have established a new incentive program! For each hour of office volunteer work, you can earn rewards redeemable for HEAV products or event registrations (including convention registration). Families can combine all of their reward points into one account to purchase more expensive products or event registrations.General Volunteer Application