Virginia Military Homeschoolers

Get the resources and connection you need!

Whether you are a military homeschool family or a homeschooler entering the military or a military academy, we’ve got you covered!

HEAV is especially proud of our military members, and we’re here to provide you with support related to your service. For specific questions, please contact our director of military support at or call 804-806-5899 Monday through Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Homeschooling Families in the Military

According to DoDEA Administrative Instruction 1375.01, Section 3.1, homeschoolers are subject to follow the homeschool statute of the host nation, state, commonwealth, possession, or territory in which they reside. 

In Virginia (as in all U.S. states), residency for compulsory education of minors is determined by where you physically reside, not your state of record or the state in which you own a home. Think of it this way – the state in which your child sleeps at night (outside of vacation time) is the state whose homeschool and compulsory attendance laws that you follow.

Your assignment in Virginia may be short or long, but HEAV is here to support you with your transition into our state, help with training, paperwork, and support while you live in Virginia, and assistance in transitioning out of Virginia when your time with us is finished. 

Join HEAV today!

Let HEAV help you navigate and support Virginia homeschoolers desiring leadership and military experience. 

While you are here, we invite you to partner with HEAV to help protect and promote homeschooling freedoms in Virginia.

Military School Liaison

Ariel Vaughan

Coast Guard Base Portsmouth


Worklife Base Portsmouth
4000 Coast Guard Blvd.
Portsmouth, VA 23703

Kimberly Carmon-Stanley

Coast Guard Base Portsmouth


Worklife Base Portsmouth
4000 Coast Guard Blvd.
Portsmouth, VA 23703

Pharnice Bailey
Fort Belvoir


U.S. Army Garrison Fort Belvoir
9800 Belvoir Rd. Bldg. 200
Fort Belvoir, VA 22060

Chaundra Taswell

Fort Gregg-Adams


10624 Yorktown Drive
Fort Lee, VA 23801

Allison Montalvo

Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall (Myer)


H&S Bn, HQMC, Henderson Hall
1555 Southgate Road Bldg. 12
Arlington, VA 22214


Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall (Henderson Hall)


H&S Bn, HQMC, Henderson Hall
1555 Southgate Road Bldg. 12
Arlington, VA 22214

Terrilyn Williams

Joint Base Langley-Eustis (Langley – USAF)

843- 319-8859

633d Force Support Squadron
Attn: School Liaison
45 Neely Ave Suite 215
Joint Base Langley Eustis, VA 23665

Penny Rowley

Marine Corps Base Quantico


Little Hall Room 209
2034 Barnett Avenue Quantico, VA 22134

Kimberly Simpson

Marine Corps Base Quantico


School Liaison Program Little Hall
2034 Barnett Ave. Quantico, VA 22134

Horace Franklin

Naval District Washington


12 Brookley Ave. SW
Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling
Washington, DC 20032

Lolita Gunter

Naval Support Facility Dahlgren


17267 Dahlgren Road
Bldg. 205
Dahlgren, VA 22448

Deborah Patch

NAS Oceana and Dam Neck


875 D. Avenue
Building 531
Virginia Beach, VA 23460

Lindsay Adams

Naval Station Norfolk


9475 Bacon Ave.
Building C-9
Norfolk, VA 23511


Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads


2344 Olympic Blvd.
Bldg 269
Chesapeake, VA 2332

Melissa Johnson

Norfolk Naval Shipyard

757- 396-7947

309 Green Point Lane, Bldg. 1497
Portsmouth, VA 23702

Jami O’Connor

Naval Weapons Station Yorktown


2101 Von Steuben Dr.
Newport News, VA 23603

Military family African American

Virginia Military Homeschooling—Military Move and Temporary Assignments

Here temporarily? Waiting on housing? Traveling while transitioning between duty stations? Here is all you need to know on how to remain in compliance with homeschool laws.

Virginia Department of Veterans Services Military

Virginia-Specific Military Benefits

Virginia loves veterans and has many programs for military members, retirees, and family members. Take advantage of these benefits available to you as a Virginia resident.

Military Families and Driver Education

Homeschool families can teach the behind-the-wheel portion of driver’s education; however, the DMV form requires a parent to hold a valid Virginia driver’s license. A military homeschooling family teaching driver education in Virginia, however, is not required to obtain a Virginia driver’s license if their current license is valid. 

Military families should fill out the form with the information from their current license and write a cover letter explaining they are military. Supply a copy of the driving record from the current valid state license. Mail the information along with the other required documents for behind-the-wheel training to the main DMV office in Richmond as described on our Driver Education page.

DO NOT take the forms or letter to a local DMV. They have no authority to make exceptions. It should take one to three weeks to process.

If you are denied, please contact HEAV at for assistance.

Department of Motor Vehicles
Commercial Licensing Work Center
P. O. Box 27412
Richmond, VA 23269-0001

Ways to obtain a copy of a driving record from the state that issued the driver’s license

1. The DMV

  • Request an official copy of your driving record in person or by mail through the DMV.
  • The DMV does not provide expedited processing for driving records, so order it early.
  • You can receive an unofficial copy of your driving record instantly online.
  • Depending on your state, requesting your official driving record can cost about $10. Unofficial copies cost less.
  • Paying in person, DMV offices only accept cash, check, money order, or ATM/debit card.
    They do not accept credit cards.

2. Auto Insurance Agents

  • Auto insurance agents also have access to your driving report.
  • Agencies can review your information and provide an unofficial driving report.
  • Ask your insurance agent for a free copy of your official driver’s record. (Not all can provide that, but it’s worth asking.)

3. Online Third-Party Vendors

  • This is the fastest but most expensive and often less reliable option.
  • Reports may be less accurate than driving records from the DMV or insurance providers.
  • Verify whether the vendor can obtain an official report beforehand.

Join HEAV today!

Let HEAV help you navigate and support Virginia homeschoolers desiring leadership and military experience. 

While you are here, we invite you to partner with HEAV to help protect and promote homeschooling freedoms in Virginia.

Homeschoolers Entering the Military

Some recruiters may not understand that a homeschooled student does not need a GED, college courses, or additional testing to enter the military.

A homeschool diploma is equal to a public or private school diploma for entry into the military and qualifies applicants to enter as Tier One, not Tier Two, applicants. If any recruiter states that a GED, college courses, an accredited diploma, or higher ASVAB score are required, contact HEAV for assistance.

Military Academy Homeschool Admissions

Homeschooled students are eligible for and desired by military academies. Below are the links to each military academy’s process for homeschool applicants. Your homeschool diploma is equally valid for admission as any public or private school diploma.

DoDEA Virtual Homeschool:  Expanded Eligibility Pilot Program Admission (E2P2)

The DoDEA Virtual School is now available to homeschooled high school students through the Expanded Eligibility Pilot Program. Military-connected homeschooled high school students without access to a DoDEA brick-and-mortar high school are eligible to take up to two online courses. Space is limited. Submit your application through the website.

Army Emergency Relief Homeschool and Remote Education Assistance Program

Soldiers with children from pre-K to grade 12 and undergraduate college students are eligible for financial assistance for costs associated with traditional, full-time home school education and remote education during COVID-19.
military teen high school

Military High School Senior Stabilization Program

If you have an upcoming senior or junior—and one or both parents are active duty military,—many of the military branches have some form of the High School Junior/Senior Stabilization Program, which will allow a servicemember to remain in their current assignment until after the high school junior or senior graduates from high school. Each branch of service has different requirements, and no branch will guarantee access to this program.

  • Army
    The Army’s High School Senior Stabilization Program is for soldiers with family members in their junior or senior year of high school. The Enlisted Personnel Management Directorate (EPMD) will approve stabilization requests if possible. Soldiers must submit a DA Form 4187 no earlier than March 1 of the student’s freshman year and no later than the start of the student’s sophomore year. Requests submitted after this deadline may be processed as an exception to this policy. Click on the link for information and forms.
  • Air Force
    The High School Senior Assignment Deferment Program is for members who meet eligibility requirements and are stationed in the continental United States, and it is limited to ranks below lieutenant colonel or senior master sergeant. Approval is not automatic and is based on Air Force needs. Officers can apply before receiving an assignment, and enlisted members can apply after receiving an assignment. Click on the link for information and forms.
  • Navy
    Stabilization for Sailors with High School Seniors is available to sailors who are not in the negotiating window and whose projected rotation dates occur between the beginning of the dependent’s junior year and the graduation date. The request must be submitted no later than the first day of 12 months prior to their rotation date and must come with a positive command endorsement. Approval is based on the needs of the Navy. Click on the PDF link for information and forms.
  • Marines
    The Marines do not have a High School Stabilization Program. However, marines (and sailors) are offered Housing Flexibility.  One form of this program is called Delay of Dependent Travel (DDT) due to Continuity of Education (COE) for minor school-Aged dependents. A marine who has a dependent who is a senior can request a COE until June 30 of the current year, but the request may not be approved for another child who will be a senior the following year. In some circumstances, a DDT may be approved for sailors with dependents in any grade. Click the link for information and forms.