Director of Development
HEAV seeks an experienced director of development to connect with supporters and lead all development efforts.
Director of Development:
- Reports to executive director
- Works closely with publications director and publications team, finance manager, office manager, and director of government affairs.
The director of development will build and lead a program to support the year-round work of HEAV through a comprehensive plan to grow and cultivate support through effective communications, messaging, personal contacts, team-building, grants, and special donor events.
The director of development is responsible for planning, managing, and executing the organization’s development strategy. This person reports to the Executive Director and works in collaboration with the director of publications & marketing and the outreach director. This person will be a member of the organization’s leadership team.
The director of development position requires a warm, personable, organized, and mission-driven individual who can envision and develop big-picture ideas, communicate excellently through speaking and writing, cast vision to supporters, develop and meet goals, and create processes.
Overview of Responsibilities
- Develop and implement an overall annual fundraising plan, including goals, timelines, budget, and identified audiences for proposals, appeals, and campaigns.
- Manage fundraising activities and metrics to ensure that fundraising goals are being achieved and sources of support are diversified.
- Build and manage a comprehensive donor stewardship program to strengthen and deepen relations between HEAV and individual donors, corporate supporters, granting foundations, and community funding partners.
- Provide vision, direction, and supervision on all development operational processes, including database management, financial reports, donor lists, gift processing and acknowledgments, donor benefits, and fulfillment activities.
- Develop and manage a grant strategy and process from research and targeting of grant opportunities, drafting grant proposals in collaboration with key staff and Executive Director, managing submissions, follow-up reporting, and conducting planned outreach to deepen relationships with funders.
- Grow, supervise, and mentor the development team to meet their individual goals in support of the team’s fundraising plan.
- Work collaboratively with staff to increase support for HEAV’s strategic priorities
- Provide leadership in strategy, planning, implementation, and evaluation of HEAV’s donor events. Cultivate and retain sponsors, major donors, and other key relationships critical to an event’s success.
- Contribute to the creation of meaningful and impactful events that garner press and brand awareness, foster strong community relations, increase revenue and donor loyalty, and acquire new supporters.
- Represent HEAV at community events to expand the organization’s connections and partners.
- Collaborate on the writing, production, design, and distribution of a wide variety of publications materials, including annual reports, brochures, marketing materials, fact sheets, one-pagers, slide decks, videos, and other materials related to development.
- Support the organization’s social media presence by coordinating content with the publications team that will engage various stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant experience in successful fundraising in the nonprofit world
- Clear understanding and enthusiastic support of HEAV’s strategic vision, mission, and goals
- Substantial experience with homeschooling and familiarity with the homeschool community
- Proven track record of securing gifts that align with donor interests and the organization’s priorities through cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors
- Successful track record in special events fundraising
- Proven track record in recruiting and retaining sponsors, donors, and partners
- Experience leading and managing a team
- Experience working with volunteers and a board of directors
- Excellent, clear, upbeat, and energetic verbal and written communications skills
- Proven ability to create winsome and compelling marketing copy
- Proficiency with social media and other digital communications
- Strong applied computer skills, with a solid understanding of donor databases and fundraising systems
- Attention to detail and strong writing skills are essential.
- Ability to think strategically—a good problem solver with critical thinking and analytical skills
This is a part-time to a full-time position, with a flexible schedule ranging from 20-40 hours per week. This position can be worked remotely, preferably in the Greater Richmond area.
- Work mostly from home
- Highly flexible schedule
- Generous vacation time with paid holidays
- HEAV investment in your professional growth as a leader
- Work alongside an enthusiastic team of individuals passionate about their work
Commensurate with experience
Please submit a cover letter explaining your vision and qualifications for the position, a resume, and a short writing sample to email@example.com.