Special-Needs Homeschool Resources
Many parents find that the homeschooling in Virginia offers many benefits for their child with special needs–as well much more flexibility to teach to their strengths than is offered in a public school setting.
Homeschooling with Special Needs
- Many families educate their developmentally delayed children at home very effectively.
- Home education provides a safe, nurturing atmosphere which has been proven to enhance learning.
- One-on-one instruction is natural in a home environment and is often mandatory when a child has special difficulties.
- Individualized learning is easy to provide in a family setting.
- Life skills are taught as a natural part of home education.
- Physical activity is easy to incorporate into a homeschool day by taking breaks and walks as needed, or visiting parks and recreation centers for intensive activity.
- Resources such as special curricula, consultants, and therapists are increasingly available for parents with challenged children.
- If your child is a part of an active family, siblings can contribute tutoring and stimulation.
- Basic Info for Virginia Homeschoolers
- Homeschooling Special-Needs Children
- Strategies for Teaching Children with Learning Disabilities
- College Resources for Disabled Students
- Questions and Answers Concerning Special Needs, OT, PT, and Speech Services
- Counseling, Testing, and Tutoring Resources
- Homeschoolers Take Special-Needs Case to Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Special-Needs Q&A, plus articles
- Attending College with a Speech Disorder
SPED Homeschool, whose founding principle is that every child can succeed when provided individualized instruction and that homeschooling is one of the best options to educate a unique learner, offers a variety of resources, information, and encouragement for parents on this journey.
Children thrive when taught by loving, involved parents who consider their child’s unique learning styles, but it is important to go in with your eyes wide open about the special advantages–and challenges–of homeschooling.
NATHHAN’s (National Challenged Homeschoolers Associated Network) purpose is to encourage homeschooling families with special-needs children, in ways that glorify the Lord Jesus Christ, and to find Christian homes for children with special needs.
Too Wise to be Mistaken, Too Good to be Unkind: Christian Parents Contend with Autism
An inspiring book by Cathy Steere.
Homeschooling with Asperger’s
An online guide by Julie Knapp.
H.I.S. Place for Help in School
A site featuring various resources expressly designed to help parents of children with special needs. Put together by Judi Munday, author of the special-needs section in the Virginia Homeschool Manual.
An institute that seeks to help all children reach their full potential while recognizing that parents are a child’s best teacher. They have programs and resources developed for children with autism and brain injuries.
Timberdoodle’s Autism Center
A blog, resources, product reviews, and more from a long-time homeschool company.
Articles About Learning Disabilities
See this index by article title for a few dozen articles about “learning disabilities.” Written by parents and “professionals,” the articles vary greatly in length. Topics include learning without complex plans and handling significant handicaps. You’ll be encouraged.
Helpful Articles by Subject
This index by subject includes hundreds of articles covering everything from allergies and adoption to toilet training and vision therapy.
Weighted blankets are therapeutic for children and adults with autism, sensory processing disorder, ADHD, hyperactivity, etc. because they provide gentle pressure that hug the body to produce a calming and relaxing effect.
A to Z homeschooling offers many tips and resources for homeschooling a blind or visually impaired child.
Children with Hearing Difficulties
Here are a number of resources for children who are deaf and face hearing challenges.
Note: Product links go to the HEAV store or to Amazon.com. HEAV is an Amazon affiliate, which means we will receive a commission on items purchased through these Amazon links.