Teacher License Renewal

Q. I would like to begin homeschooling under the certified tutor provision, but my teaching license recently expired. Can I get an extension and homeschool under the certified tutor statute while I earn the necessary points to renew my license?

A. According to the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) licensure specialist, a teaching license extension is rarely granted by the department—and only if there are unusual circumstances.  An extension request usually comes from a school district, not from a teacher or teaching parent. A teacher or homeschool parent should notify the VDOE when the necessary professional development points have been earned, and the department will then provide a renewal certificate.

Until the required professional points are earned, you should comply with one of the other provisions of the homeschool statute.


Recent Posts