Homeschool Diploma for Option 1

Q. I have a homeschool diploma signed by my parents. Can I use it for option (i) to homeschool my own children, or does a diploma have to be from a public school?

A. The first option of the homeschool statute §22.1-254.1(A) states that any parent may provide home instruction in lieu of school attendance if he “holds a high school diploma.” This language does not limit the diploma to a public school diploma. A transcript, a homeschool diploma, or a private school diploma should meet the requirement; however, a GED is not acceptable. A parent may also use a higher degree such as a two-year college degree, a baccalaureate degree, a master’s degree, a doctorate, or other credential.

Recent Posts