Part-Time Enrollment and Dual Enrollment

Q. What is the difference in part-time enrollment and dual enrollment?

A. Part-time and dual enrollment refer to two types of enrollment that may be available to students.

Part-time enrollment is when a homeschooled student (or non-public school student) enrolls in public school classes while being taught at home (or elsewhere). Each local school board determines if they will allow homeschool students to enroll on a part-time basis. You can find if part-time enrollment is permitted in your district by calling your local school board office.

If your school board allows part-time enrollment, according to § 22.1-253.13:2.N, homeschool students who have complied with the homeschool statute and filed a Notice of Intent can enroll part-time and take the following courses: mathematics, science, English, history, social science, career and technical education, fine arts, foreign language, or health education or physical education. Part-time students may take other classes, but the school will not receive ADM (Average Daily Membership) funding for these classes.

Dual enrollment is when qualified students enroll in one or more college classes while in high school. Homeschoolers who are dual enrolled can earn credits for high school graduation and, at the same time, earn college credits. Students must pass the college placement exam, and in most cases, the student must be a junior or senior. Students can take online college classes or attend classes on campus. Parents must pay college tuition and textbook fees. Dual enrollment offers an opportunity to jump-start a college education.

Recent Posts