Special Needs Services

Q. Can my homeschooled child who has an IEP still be involved in special classes at his former school?

A. Public schools provide special needs services for students who are enrolled full-time in their schools; therefore, homeschoolers do not qualify. However, some districts offer limited services as an outreach to students in the community—particularly homeschool and private school students. Some Virginia state or federal funds are usually budgeted for this purpose.

Speech therapy and occupational therapy are services that are most often provided on a space-available basis. If you are interested, contact your local school district to see if services are available.

Best regards,

Recent Posts