SOLs and Reenrollment

Q. Is there a law that requires homeschooled students to make up missed SOL’s if they re-enrolled in public school?

A. Public schools may—and often do—require SOL testing for transfer students, whether from homeschools, private schools, or out-of-state schools. If you expect to enroll your children in public school in the future, you may want to consider the possibility of this type of testing, both for placement as well as for graduation eligibility for high school students.

You can always attempt to negotiate grade placement and credits by showing standardized test results or a transcript, but ultimately you must comply with the public school’s decision based on their policy. Policies may differ from district to district.


Recent Posts