Records from Public School

Q. Can I get a copy of my child’s public school records? I am not sure what my legal rights are.

A. Yes, you may go to your child’s previous school and request a copy of the record from the office. According to the Freedom of Information Act, referenced in § 2.2-3705.4 (1), a parent or legal guardian has a right to have a copy of this information.

It’s possible the school staff may not know the law. If they don’t respond positively, you may need to respectfully help them understand their responsibility by providing a copy of the law. You may be required to show identification and sign a release form in order to obtain a copy of the records.

A permanent record may have helpful information about academic progress, learning issues, and test results. This may help you plan a program of study that will better fit your child’s individual needs.

Recent Posts