Prince William County
A parent reported to HEAV that, after ten documented attempts and a direct inquiry from the board of supervisors, all sent to the high school program coordinator and principal, they received a response and were provided access to the PSAT for their child.
To help ensure homeschool parents are able to access AP, PSAT/NMSQT and PreACT examinations and financial assistance options, HEAV reached out to the superintendent and school board regarding these statutory requirements.
HEAV received a prompt and courteous response from the assistant superintendent for student services and post-secondary success who supervises this area. She provided the information HEAV shared to all high school-level associates to ensure all schools have a better understanding of the requirements and expected customer service for these requests. HEAV is thankful to Prince William for this positive resolution.
What You Should Know:
- It is important for parents to be aware of the law and testing dates. Do not rely on your district to provide this information to you.
- Prepare and make arrangements as early as possible to ensure the process goes smoothly. (See HEAV article linked below for further guidance)
- Districts have policies in place that will provide guidance to parents on the process for obtaining access to these tests. You may find these policies on the district’s website.
- The law states: “School boards shall make Advanced Placement (AP), Preliminary SAT/National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test (PSAT/NMSQT), and PreACT examinations available to students receiving home instruction pursuant to this section. School boards shall adopt written policies that specify the date by which such students shall register to participate in such examinations. School boards shall notify such students and their parents of such registration deadline and the availability of financial assistance to low-income and needy students to take such examinations.”
- Reference: §22.1-254.1(F), HEAV Article: CLT, PSAT, AP, and SAT, College Board