Homeschool High School

Non-Traditional Credit

Homeschool students can gain college credit through nationally standardized proficiency tests while still in high school, but in order to take advantage of these tests, you must plan ahead. All of these exams allow a student to receive college credit for the course in question if his scores are high enough. Always check with your college of choice to determine what non-traditional credits they will accept before you make the decision to take one or more of these tests. Each college has different standards for the number of non-traditional credits they will accept.

The Advanced Placement exam is administered by the College Board. (It is not the same as the S.A.T.) A parent or teacher may order a text from the College Board, and tutor the student throughout the year. In mid-May the student can then take the Advanced Placement exams. There are about sixteen different subject areas that can be tested, for a cost of $72 each. Only high-school students, not graduates, may take this exam. Since the cost per test is very high, check with a prospective school before making the decision to take the Advanced Placement exams.

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is designed for post-high-school students, but can be taken by those still in high school. You can take CLEP exams in subjects such as English, Biology, Chemistry, Math, and History. The tests cost approximately $47 each.

The DANTES exams were originally designed for military people, but are now used very similarly to the CLEP.

Christian College Regulation Examples

The following information is from a Christian university and has been included as a sample of private college regulations. At this school, 30 out of the last 36 hours of all programs must be completed on campus in order to graduate. (All of this information is subject to change. Please contact your college of choice to determine their current standards.)

Advanced Placement Examinations (AP)

A high-school graduate who has taken the Advanced Placement Examinations conducted by the College Entrance Examination Board, and who has passed with scores of 3, 4, or 5, may receive university credit. Credit awarded will be treated as transfer credit and will count toward graduation. A student earning a score of 3 on the AP English Language and Composition test will receive credit for COM 102; a student earning a score of 5 will receive credit for COM 102 and COM 103.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP/DANTES)

The university will grant credit for students who score at or above established levels on many College-Level Examination Program subject examinations. Credit received will be treated as transfer credit and will count toward graduation as applicable. Information about specific CLEP equivalents and scores may be obtained from the Admissions or Registrar’s Office.

Armed Forces Educational Credit

Veterans may receive undergraduate credit for Basic Training and other formal educational experience gained while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. Basic Training is credited as physical education. Credit awarded will be treated as transfer credit and will count toward graduation. Veterans must submit a certified original of their DD-214 or other documentation of their experience to receive credit. To evaluate credit, the university utilizes the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services.

Prior Learning Credit (PLC)

The university may award credit for skills developed in corporate training or other non-traditional educational experiences. Credit is awarded on the basis of careful evaluation of student portfolios that document content, quality, and extent of the learning experience. A fee is charged for evaluation and for each hour of credit accepted. Credit received will be treated as transfer credit and will count toward graduation insofar as applicable toward a degree program. In assessing and accepting Prior Learning Credit, the university adheres to guidelines and standards delineated by the Council for the Advancement of Experiential Learning (CAEL) and the American Council on Education (ACE).

Independent and Directed Study

Independent or directed studies are available to any student with junior or senior standing and with a grade point average of 3.0 or better. The “Special Course Form” must be completed before the student can register or add the course. Enrollment requires permission from those in whose area the course falls and the course instructor. A directed or independent study is intended to provide the student with an opportunity to investigate an area of academic interest not available through the regular curriculum. The investigation may include a planned program of readings or may involve research in some aspect of science. The approval of the Vice President for Academic Affairs is required if a graduating senior needs to take a directed study covering a topic taught in the regular program of studies. The study requires periodic conferences between the student and the instructor. Before the student registers for a directed study, conference times that are mutually agreeable to the student and the instructor should be arranged. The conferences provide an evaluation of the student’s progress in the study. A paper describing the student’s findings is ordinarily required at the conclusion of the study. A directed study must be concluded within the semester. Any student wishing to enroll for more than 6 hours of directed study during any one semester must obtain the written permission of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.