Day at the Capitol FAQs
Teach your children how our government works by participating in HEAV’s Day at the Capitol.
This is an HEAV-sponsored event!
Questions? Cancellations? If you have questions or need to cancel or change a reservation, please call the HEAV office at 804-278-9200 or e-mail email@example.com
Thursday, February 2, 2023
Go to the Bell Tower at Virginia State Capitol at 101 N 9th St, Richmond, VA 23219, near the Capitol grounds.
Check-in begins at the Bell Tower at 8:30 a.m. Click here for a map.
Check-in will begin at the Bell Tower located on the Capitol grounds between 8:30 and 9 a.m. Tour tickets and a schedule will be handed out at check-in.
Bell Tower and the Capitol
Remember, you will be arriving during early-morning rush hour; please allow extra time. On-street parking around the Capitol is NOT recommended because of the time limits on metered parking. The Truist Bank and Bank of America have the closest parking garages. Expect to pay about $15 for garage parking.
The entrance to the Truist Bank garage is on E. Cary Street between S. 9th and S. 10th streets. The Bank of America garage entrance is also on E. Cary between S. 10th and S. 12th streets.
There are also a few parking lots within several blocks of walking distance. See the Parking Map.
St. John’s Church
Parking at St. John’s is on the street and free.
School-age children are best suited for Day at the Capitol. Upper elementary through high school students benefit most.
Dress in business attire or your Sunday best. No jeans, please. Wear flat, comfortable shoes. Dress appropriately for weather conditions.
- Check in at The Bell Tower between 8:30 to 9 a.m.
- There will be a short legislative review by HEAV and an opportunity to greet the legislators who are sponsoring our legislation.
- Attendees will walk to the Bank Street Visitors Center entrance for Capitol tours.
- Scheduled visits with attendees’ legislator assistant in the Pocahontas Building at 10 and 900 E. Main Street across from the Visitors Center entrance.
- Scheduled tours of the Capitol building will be scheduled for families beginning at 9:30 a.m.
- You may purchase lunch from local restaurants or Meriwether’s Market Place in the Truist Bank. The Truist Bank building is located at 919 East Main Street, one block from the Capitol Visitor Center entrance. You may also bring your own bag lunch. No food or drink may be brought into the Capitol buildings.
- We will conclude our day at St. John’s Church at 2 p.m.
- Professional reenactors will portray American patriots at St. John’s who debate America’s independence from Great Britain.
- The rousing debate will conclude with Patrick Henry giving his famous “Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death” speech.
From noon to 1:30 p.m., there will be opportunities for parents and students to view legislation in action in the gallery viewing area on the third floor of the Capitol.
- Pick up the event schedule and tickets for tours at the Bell Tower at 9 a.m.
- Hear a review of homeschool legislation and 2022 homeschool issues.
- Tour the beautifully renovated Capitol and visitors’ center.
- Visit the gallery session and view legislation in action.
- Watch the reenactment of Patrick Henry’s famous “Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death” speech.
- Meet the re-enactors in the Second Virginia Convention debate (great photo op!).
- Visit the gift shop at St. John’s Church.
Yes, metal detectors are now in place at the Capitol and General Assembly office buildings. Tour guides suggest you arrive 15 minutes prior to your tour or classroom scheduled time to be processed through security. All bags and coats will be put through a scanner. To speed along the process at all security checks, carry as little as possible.
- $40 for each HEAV member family, plus $5 for each child who is not a family member.
- $45 for each homeschool family, plus $5 for each child who is not a family member.
- Grandparents with a homeschool family are an additional $5.
Space is limited to 160 participants for each DATC date.
We may be able to accommodate a group if space allows. Each family will need to register. If families want to stay together as a group, please share your request in the message box provided on the form. List the other paid family names you would like to be grouped with. Call the HEAV office (804-278-9200) if you have any questions.
Tickets are assigned prior to the event and distributed at the Bell Tower when you arrive. Be sure to arrive before 9 a.m.
Tours and House and Senate Gallery viewing can be accessed by entering the Visitor Center at 10th and Bank Street. Please arrive 10 minutes early for security screening. Your tour guide will meet you in the Exhibit Gallery just past the gift shop. Each tour is approximately 45 minutes long.
House and Senate Gallery viewing is available from noon to 1:30 p.m. at your convenience. It is located on the third floor of the Capitol. If you leave the Capitol Visitor Center prior to your gallery viewing, you may reenter at any time by using the 10th and Bank Street entrances. Overflow seating will be available in the Visitors’ Center Extension in House Room 3 and Senate Room 3.
All government buildings are handicap accessible. Ramps and elevators are available to visitors with special needs to the original 1788 Capitol and 1906 wings. Please contact the HEAV office to make us aware of any special needs.
Cameras and photography are permitted, but photos must be taken while remaining with your group. Send your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can post them on our website. Or, upload your images to Instagram or Twitter using the hashtag #HEAVorg.
You may purchase lunch from local restaurants or Meriwether’s Market Place in the Truist Bank. The Truist Bank building is located at 919 East Main Street, one block from the Capitol Visitor Center entrance. You may also bring your own bag lunch. No food or drink may be brought into the Capitol buildings.
Visit the Virginia General Assembly site at Capitol Classroom for age-appropriate maps, games, and activities.
Day at the Capitol will go on as scheduled. If it rains, please bring an umbrella to walk to buildings. Most events are inside. Check our website at www.heav.org for special announcements.
If you need to cancel or change a reservation, please use this form. Deadline is three days prior to the event. Refunds will be made to the issuing card and will incur a $5 cancellation fee.
Yes, we need two or three families with teens to help during check-in! If you could volunteer for about an hour during this time, we would greatly appreciate it. You will not miss any of the events. Please contact Stephanie Konicki at email@example.com for more information. The General Volunteer form is here.
If you registered for Day at the Capitol, keep an eye on your inbox. You should get an immediate confirmation after a successful registration. If not, call the HEAV office at 804-278-9200. We will email additional information if necessary.