End of Year Test Evaluator

Q. Can a homeschool evaluator be retired? The person I would like to evaluate my child is a retired teacher who does not currently have a teaching license but does have a master’s degree.

A. The Virginia homeschool law states that a person may do an evaluation if they are licensed to teach in any state or if they have a master’s degree or higher. BOTH a teaching license and master’s degree are not required–only one of the two qualifications fulfills the law. Even though the person may be retired from teaching and no longer has a teaching license, she still has a master’s degree and would qualify as an evaluator under 22.1-254.1(C).

Yvonne Bunn
Director of Homeschool Support and Government Affairs

Recent Posts