Certified Tutor vs. Provisional License

Q. I have a four-year degree and a Statement of Eligibility letter for a Provisional license. Do I need an official teaching license in order to homeschool under the Certified Tutor statute?

A. In order to comply with the certified tutor statute, a teacher must have a current teaching license.

The Teacher Certification Center’s website indicates that “candidates who do not meet all of the requirements for standard teacher licensure in Virginia may be eligible for a three-year Provisional License to teach. The Provisional License allows those with a bachelor’s degree three years in which to complete the remaining requirements for a standard Five-Year Renewable License while leading a classroom. A school district must hire an individual and request the Provisional License for him or her. During this time, the candidate must complete remaining requirements (such as endorsement deficiencies, teacher assessments, or professional studies coursework) to receive a renewable five-year license.”

Until the required professional points are earned and you are licensed, you should comply with one of the other provisions of the homeschool statute. You would meet the requirements of option (i) with your bachelor’s degree.

Best regards,

Yvonne Bunn
HEAV Director of Homeschool Support and Government Affairs

Recent Posts