If your delegate is on the Rules Committee, please call or e-mail his office today! He will be listed below. In your own words, ask your delegate to oppose HJ 92 based on one or two of these reasons.
- A study of religious exemption opens the door to reducing religious freedom.
- The religious exemption statute was enacted to guarantee the free exercise of religion in Virginia.
- This statute has protected First Amendment rights of homeschoolers of all faiths for 37 years.
- The statute protects the sincere religious convictions of home educating parents in the same way laws protect the religious freedom of parents whose children attend private schools.
- Data shows that homeschoolers are doing well academically. Regardless of the amount of government oversight—more oversight or less oversight—homeschoolers do equally well.
- Religiously exempt homeschoolers score 33 percentile points higher than other students.
- The statute, as written, gives school boards the freedom to evaluate religious convictions in a way they feel appropriate.
- The questions in the resolution can easily be answered without the expense of a formal study.
When you call your legislator’s office, you can expect to speak with a receptionist or legislative aide, not the delegate. This person will take your message without debating the issue with you. Always be kind and respectful.
- M. Kirkland Cox (R-Chesterfield, Colonial Heights)
Phone: (804) 698-1066
- Gregory Habeeb (R-Craig, Montgomery, Roanoke, Salem)
Phone: (804) 698-1008
- Algie Howell, Jr. (D-Norfolk, Virginia Beach)
Phone: (804) 698-1090
- Riley E. Ingram (R-Chesterfield, Henrico, Prince George)
Phone: (804) 698-1062
- Johnny S. Joannou (D-Norfolk, Portsmouth)
Phone: (804) 698-1079
- S. Chris Jones (R-Chesapeake, Suffolk)
Phone: (804) 698-1076
- Terry Kilgore (R-Lee, Scott, Wise, Norton)
Phone: (804) 698-1001
- Barry D. Knight (R-Chesapeake, Virginia Beach)
Phone: (804) 698-1081
- Steven Landes (R-Albemarle, Augusta, Rockingham)
Phone: (804) 698-1025
- Jimmie Massie (R-Henrico)
Phone: (804) 698-1072
- Robert D. Orrock (R-Caroline, Spotsylvania)
Phone: (804) 698-1054
- Kenneth R. Plum (D-Fairfax)
Phone: (804) 698-1036
- David J. Toscano (D-Albemarle, Charlottesville)
Phone: (804) 698-1057
- R. Lee Ware (R-Chesterfield, Fluvanna, Goochland)
Phone: (804) 698-1065