Homeschool Success Seminars
Online and In Person Seminars About Homeschooling
Learn what you need to know about homeschooling from HEAV’s homeschool expert, Yvonne Bunn.
How to Begin Homeschooling: What You REALLY Need to Know!Are you thinking about homeschooling? Get your questions answered and use the information from this seminar to prepare for a successful homeschool experience!
- What are the first things steps?
- What does the law say?
- Where can you get curriculum?
- What kind of records should you keep?
- Where can you get help?
How to RegisterCost: $25
- Use this link to retrieve your username and HEAV number.
- Still having trouble? Call the office at 804-278-9200.
Support group leaders: If you are a support group leader, HEAV offers you this once-a-year opportunity to attend the seminar free. Click here for more information.
Refund policy: Refunds may be obtained by submitting a request in writing to email@example.com, no later than August 4, 2017. A $7 cancellation fee will be deducted from your refund amount.
We accept Visa or MasterCard. Registration is limited to 40 seats. Registration is available at the door, but pre-egistration will guarantee a seat and allow us to notify you of any schedule changes or space limitations. Note: Portions of this seminar are also available in our recorded high school webinar.If you would like to schedule a “Homeschool Success” seminar in your area, contact the HEAV office at 804-278-9200, or e-mail Yvonne Bunn at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our goal is to help you succeed by providing the right information and best resources available!
Below are descriptions of some of the seminars we offer.
How to Begin Homeschooling: What You Really Need to Know!
This informative workshop will help new homeschoolers get off to the right start by answering many common questions: Am I qualified? How do I prepare? Where can I go for help? How do I teach more than one child? What things should I never do? What are some secrets of success? And more! Download the seminar notes for How to Begin Homeschooling: What You Really Need to Know.
Know the Law: Notifying and Testing Demystified
Don’t let the legalese confuse you! Find out what requirements you must meet in order to homeschool, what tests or evaluations you may use, whom you should notify and when, and what to do if you are homeschooling because of your sincere religious beliefs. Download the seminar notes for Know the Law: Notifying and Testing Demystified.
How to Choose Curriculum Get a brief overview of six different teaching methods—from the classical approach to relaxed homeschooling. Hear lots of practical suggestions for choosing curriculum and where to find the resources you need. Download the seminar notes for How to Choose Curriculum.
Teaching high school at home can seem like a daunting task–but the benefits of homeschooling during the high school years far outweigh the challenges! Do you wonder what subjects to include during the high school years? How to teach higher level courses like chemistry labs or calculus? How to develop a transcript, assign credits, and compute a GPA? Are you ready for AP courses, PSATs, SATs, and ACTs? And what about sports and extracurricular activities? Yes, it’s a whole new world! Download the seminar notes for HIgh School at Home: The Path to Success!
Do you have questions about what is required to evaluate your child? Are you confused by the different forms of tests available? Have all your fears put to ease at a free seminar focusing on homeschool evaluations and testing. Yvonne will answer questions such as:
- Who is exempt from testing?
- Do five-year-olds have to be tested?
- Are you required to test a senior?
- What is included in an evaluation?
- Where can you find testing resources?
- Which standardized test can you administer yourself?
- Will the Common Core curriculum be included in achievement tests?
- Can you use SAT, ACT, or PSAT test instead of an achievement test?
Calm your fears of testing by receiving the most up-to-date information from Yvonne Bunn, a veteran homeschool mom and HEAV director of homeschool support and government affairs.
What Seminar Attendees Had to Say
- “This was wonderful–I learned so much.”
- “This was just the start I needed.”
- “This was just what I needed at the right time.”
- “Very inspirational and encouraging.”
- “I attended the ‘How to Get Started’ workshop yesterday, and although I filled out the questionnaire afterward, I don’t think I fully expressed how much I enjoyed the seminar and how thankful I am that I went. Both Yvonne and Vicki were wonderful presenters. Not only are they knowledgeable, but they’re interesting and helpful, and quite easy to learn from. They presented all the information in such a lively and productive manner (even the dry stuff!) that I left feeling well-informed and more confident.”
- “What an incredibly well-spent afternoon! Thank you for offering these services. I came from Northern Virginia (like a few others) and it was such a valuable and worthwhile trip. I’m very much looking forward to the next one. I’m still in the process of making the decision of whether homeschooling is right for us, but I feel a lot more prepared to make that decision, and certain that if I do, the support is available. Thank you!” – K. Stewart
- “Thank-you so much for a wonderful seminar yesterday. As a result, I am encouraged and feel that I have the direction necessary to homeschool my ‘high-schoolers.'” – Rebecca
Registration is available at the door, but pre-registration will guarantee seat and allow us to notify you of any schedule changes or space limitations. You can call the HEAV office at 804-278-9200 to reserve your spot.
See cost information under each Homeschool Success Seminar.
You can find directions to the HEAV Office and Resource Center here. For directions to other locations, please call the office at 804-278-9200.
Homeschool Resource Center
When you come to a seminar at the office, be sure to come early or stay after the sessions to visit our Homeschool Resource Center. The HEAV Homeschool Resource Center is a one-stop visit for home-education needs, and will include a variety of the best homeschool resources and curricula available for purchase. While you’re at the Homeschool Resource Center, you may also schedule a free curriculum counseling session with an experienced homeschool teacher/counselor for answers to your specific questions.
Download handouts for seminars here.
Be sure your support group shares these encouraging learning opportunities with new homeschoolers and interested parents! Feel free to include this information in your e-mail updates and newsletters.