There are several different membership levels from which you can choose:
($35) Basic Membership helps us continue to promote and protect homeschooling freedom in Virginia. Basic Members receive all the benefits of free membership, plus all the benefits outlined below. Basic memberships are not tax-deductible. Read more about member benefits here.
($100) Sustaining Membership is for someone who wants to give a higher level of membership support to HEAV. As a “thank you,” sustaining members receive a free copy of the HEAV Cookbook, What’s for Dinner?: Favorite Homeschool Family Recipes.
($1000 or more) Lifetime Membership is for those who want to offer an even higher level of support to HEAV and the work we do. Lifetime Members receive all the benefits of a regular membership AND complimentary registration for the Annual Virginia Homeschool Convention for a lifetime!* Membership can be paid in five installments instead of all at once, if preferred. Lifetime memberships are not tax-deductible. Find out more information here.
*Lifetime Membership convention benefits do not include optional add-on events and are in effect as long as HEAV holds a convention.
Why Should I Join HEAV?
Because we must stand together to promote, protect, and support homeschooling throughout Virginia. HEAV depends on the support of its members — we couldn’t do what we do without YOU!
Your Membership Helps Protect Home Education
None of us wants to lose the homeschooling freedoms we fought so hard to obtain. That’s why the Home Educators Association of Virginia has worked tirelessly since 1983 to provide up-to-date information and knowledgeable representation at the General Assembly and with the Department of Education.
Your Membership Helps Promote Home Education
Support from families like yours has kept us going…and growing! According to the Department of Education, the number of homeschooled children has gone from 9.623 in 1994 to 35,858 in 2013!
Your Membership Helps Support Homeschooling Families
HEAV offers a variety of high-quality resources to help parents get started and keep going. HEAV operates from a biblical worldview and encourages and equips parents to teach and train their children at home.
Your membership helps us offer:
- This ever-expanding website, which is a treasure trove of information and encouragement for Virginia homeschool families;
- An improved and expanded FREE quarterly magazine, The Virginia Home Educator;
- A FREE weekly e-newsletter, the Virginia Homeschool Update, filled with the latest announcements, resources, and events available to Virginia homeschoolers;
- Full-time, knowledgeable office staff who are on hand five days a week to answer questions and offer encouragement and advice via phone and e-mail;
- Curriculum counselors with many years of experience who help beginning and veteran homeschool parents wade through the myriad curricula choices to find what’s best for their family;
- A beautiful and functional office space with a resource center and a seminar facility;
- In-house Homeschooling Success Seminars for beginners and veteran homeschoolers on a variety of topics;
- An experienced, full-time lobbyist, bill reader, and legislative advisor, who all work to promote and protect our homeschool freedoms.
- The HEAV Legislative Update, a FREE e-newsletter that covers local, state, and national homeschool issues, legislative information during the General Assembly session, and up-to-date information from the Virginia Department of Education;
- Day at the Capitol, a one-day event where homeschooling families meet their legislators, learn about Virginia’s government, and observe the legislative process at work;
- Various Homeschool Days at different museums throughout the year and at the State Fair each October;
- Seminars and leadership luncheons for local support group leaders;
- The Virginia Homeschool Manual, our 1007-page comprehensive reference on home education in Virginia;
- One of the largest homeschool conventions in the country, a gigantic used-curriculum sale, and a statewide graduation ceremony;
- And more!
Your Membership Gets You Great Member Benefits
Discounts, teacher I.D. cards, a free classified ad in The Virginia Home Educator magazine, and more are all yours as an HEAV member. See below for more details about our member benefits.
As an HEAV member, you will not only help HEAV meet the ever-increasing needs of Virginia’s homeschoolers, but you will also receive great member benefits, which are expanding all the time. These benefits are our way of saying “thank you” for your support. When you choose a basic, sustaining, or lifetime membership level, you will receive:
- Member letters with special offerings and discounts;
- Teacher/membership ID cards. Show yours everywhere you go-office supply stores, craft suppliers, warehouse stores, teacher-supply stores, retail bookstores, Christian bookstores, computer stores, etc. Many businesses will honor your teacher ID with reduced prices;
- Reduced registration rates for HEAV’s Annual State Convention, for HEAV Graduation, and other events;
- A FREE classified ad in the Virginia Home Educator magazine ($100 value);
- FREE SAT/ACT Test Prep through E-Knowledge;
- A 10% discount on some HEAV resources, including The Virginia Homeschool Manual;
- A $20 discount on HSLDA membership;
- A 15% discount off the Home Education 101 series; and
- Specific discounts on Creation Illustrated.
* Member benefits are subject to change. Check with our office for the latest offerings.
Join or Renew Today!
You may join or renew online, or you may download the print form and fax it to our office at 804-278-9202. If you prefer, you may call to join or renew by phone, with a credit card, at 804-278-9200. Your form and payment may also be mailed to our office at P.O. Box 6745, Richmond, VA 23230.
Thank You For Joining HEAV!
We exist to inform, support, and encourage you as you educate your children at home. We are excited about the future of homeschooling, and will be there with you—growing to meet you where you are. Thank you for partnering with us!