BEFORE THE SALE
Step One: Create an Account
Create your account using the online barcoding system. Online instructions will guide you through the process.
Step Two: Printing Instructions
- Print your master sheet(s) first and double-check all entries against the master(s) before printing your labels.
- Paper/Ink/Printer requirements:
- Paper – White paper only. Please note: Adhesive labels often mar book covers, making them less appealing to shoppers.
- Ink – Ink should be all black. (Set printer to print in black and white or in grayscale.)
- Printer – Laser is preferred; if inkjet is used, set quality to “Best/High.”
- Print your labels only when you are sure you have all your data entered correctly.
- If you need to modify or remove an item from the list, be sure to discard any previously printed labels for that item.
- Each label will print in duplicate, giving you two labels for each item: one label for the outside and a duplicate for the inside. The inside label serves as an extra precaution to assure we will be able to locate your items should the outside label become compromised in any way.
- Cut labels and tape securely to your items. HEAV is not responsible for lost items. Improperly labeled materials CANNOT be accepted for the sale.
- Special Instructions for Items to Be Sold as a Set: To ensure that items in a set do not become separate from the set and lost, please take these additional precautions:
- Make multiple copies of the labels and place one on each of the books to be boxed in the set.
- Tape up the box securely so that books cannot be removed.
- Tape a detailed list of all contents on the outside of the box along with a label, so shoppers will know exactly what is in the box.
Print Save Time Waiver form (optional).
Step Three: Packing Instructions
Pack your items together by presorting them according to grade/subject or by category so that we can quickly get them on to the correct tables. Items that are not presorted will not be distributed to the sales tables as quickly as those that have been. Packing Instructions UCS
DURING THE SALE
1. Drop off items for sale, stapled master sheet(s), and Save-Time Waiver at the UCS Hall during one of the drop-off times listed below.
|Friday June 8||Saturday June 9|
|7 a.m.||7 a.m.|
|8 a.m.||8 a.m.||DROP-OFF||OPEN SHOPPING
|10 a.m.||SHOPPING FOR
SEE YOUR PASS
FOR EXACT TIME
|11 a.m.||11 a.m.|
|1 p.m.||1 p.m.|
|2 p.m.||2 p.m.||CLOSED
|3 p.m.||DROP-OFF||OPEN SHOPPING FOR
|4:30 p.m.||4:30 p.m.||
GLEANING – 4:30
PICK-UP – 5:30
|5 p.m.||5 p.m.|
|6 p.m.||6 p.m.|
|6:30 p.m.||6:30 p.m.|
|7 p.m.||7 p.m.|
If you plan to pick up your unsold materials, you must do so at one of the stated times. Materials are not available for pick-up after 6:30 p.m. on Saturday. Any unclaimed materials become the property of HEAV and will be distributed immediately after the convention. We do not have storage space for items that are left. If you have an emergency, please contact Richie or Christie Underhill in the UCS Hall.
1. Please allow 4-6 weeks for your check to arrive.
2. As a seller, you receive 75% of your total sales (HEAV receives 25%). HEAV will deduct $1 from your sales profit to cover the cost of processing and mailing your check.
3. To avoid the possibility of your check being rejected by your financial institution, please cash or deposit your check no later than 90 days from its issue date.
Do I have to bring things to sell in order to shop?
No, you are welcome to come and shop even if you are not interested in selling anything. The sale is for both buyers and sellers.
How do I prepare my items to be sold in the Used Curriculum Sale?
In order to sell items in the UCS, you must use our convenient barcoding system. This system includes comprehensive directions on how to categorize, label, and document the items you want to sell.
Why do I need to use the online barcoding system to sell my items in the UCS?
At the UCS, we typically handle more than 60,000 items in just under 38 hours. In order to make your selling experience both easy and profitable, we need to be able to sort and distribute your items to the proper sales tables in the shortest amount of time. Our online barcoding system seeks to make the labeling process as simple as possible by providing the specific information we need in order to facilitate sorting and distribution.
What if I have items I would like to give away instead of trying to sell?
Several tables will be located near the entrance of the UCS hall that will be designated for free items. It will be your responsibility to place the free items you bring onto the tables designated for free items. It is important that you keep free items separate from items you want to sell when proceeding through the drop-off process to ensure an orderly and efficient handling of your sale items.
When may I drop off the things I want to sell?
The drop-off hours are listed below. When you drop off your items, please be prepared to spend a few minutes with a UCS volunteer to be sure you have correctly labeled and documented your materials. We want to be sure your items can be tracked for payment!
Thursday 3 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Friday 7:30 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. – 9 a.m.
What if I don’t want to wait while my items are being checked (scanned) in at drop-off?
You have the option of utilizing the Save Time Waiver form. Upon your arrival at the drop-off area, the next available Drop-Off Clerk will have you sign the waiver, which you will need to bring with you. The clerk will then receive your signed master sheet(s) and verify your account. After that, we will accept your items for the sale and you’re on your way!
When may I pick up my items that did not sell?
There are two time periods available for picking up items. You may pick up all your unsold items either Friday or Saturday evening. On Friday, between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m., you may retrieve your unsold items from the sales floor, but you must find them yourself. If you can wait until we have had an opportunity to sort through the remaining materials left after the sale closes on Saturday, you will be able to pick up your unsold items on Saturday between 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. No materials will be available for pick up after 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 9.
May I pick up some unsold items on Friday and others on Saturday?
No, our database does not allow for multiple pick-ups.
Do I have to pick up my items at the end of the Used Curriculum Sale?
Only if you want your items back. Before the convention, as you prepare your items for sale, you will designate each item for either “Pick-up” or “Donate” on your item labels.
What happens to unsold items designated ‘Donate’?
On Saturday, from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., after the close of the sale, the hall will open for all to browse or “glean” through these donated items for those last-minute books they were not able to find or afford. Many families have found donated items they couldn’t afford and have been greatly blessed! Individual gleaners are encouraged to glean not only for themselves but also to take items to bless others. After 6:30 p.m., all remaining items are removed by various organizations across Virginia. In years past, several homeschool groups “gleaned” materials for use in their local communities. The loading dock will be available for the convenience of those organizations and individuals who choose to glean multiple boxes of items. items.
If I sell items, when will I receive a check?
You will receive a check approximately 4-6 weeks after the convention.
How do I volunteer in the UCS?
Volunteers play a crucial role in the success of the UCS. It is especially crucial that UCS sellers assist in the variety of tasks required to set up and operate this two-day event. For a complete list of areas of service, please fill out our Volunteer Application, checking off the Used Curriculum Sale box and indicating the days and times you would like to serve.
Questions? E-mail our UCS Coordinators.