When things don’t go as planned, when no one can seem to focus on their spelling, when the kids (and you) need a day off, what can you do? A day away from the lesson plan doesn’t have to mean learning is over. Come learn lots of ideas for an atypical day that is fun, memorable, and packed with learning. Also find out why having such days is not a crisis, and may in fact be good medicine.
Do you have a child who is doubting his faith? Or perhaps a daughter who has rejected your beliefs completely? Are you convinced you’ve failed…and the state of this child’s heart is weighing heavily on you and your spouse? Come and listen to Carol share her own journey away from and back to her faith after 13 years as an atheist. She’ll share thoughts and views from inside the mind of a lost child. You’ll learn the best thing you can do for this child and for yourself. Come and find an understanding heart that hurts and rejoices along with your own.
- Stop the whining, complaining, and tantrums.
- Get kids to listen when they are loud in the car or interrupt on the phone.
- Teach kids to control their own behavior (self-discipline) so you don’t have to “make them” behave.
- why manners are important
- the art of the first impressions
- the hidden communication of body language
- tips for teaching manners to your children.
Come and contemplate the underestimated value of simple copywork, discover the power of text reconstruction, experience the delight of author imitation, and learn the surprising relationship between text analysis and creativity.
As a pilot for American Airlines, Steve was very close to the events of September 11, 2001. Originally scheduled to be the First Officer on Flight 11, the first plane to hit the World Trade Center, Steve knows first-hand what it means to have someone die in his place—not once, but twice. His powerful and moving testimony of God’s provision will stimulate your church or organization to examine their own lives in light of eternity. Steve’s message—entitled “Are You a Someday Saint or a Borrowed Time Believer?”—will motivate believers to a life of purpose and will challenge non-believers to recognize their need for the Savior. Steve’s story has been viewed by more than 2 million on YouTube, and his wife’s book, In My Seat, has sold 10,000 copies in just 12 months. Don’t miss this inspiring and powerful testimony of God’s goodness.
Recognizing that a healthy marriage is the basis of a healthy home, this marriage session is a fun and fruitful way to invest in your entire family. Steve and Megan teach from their book The Eight Rules Of Communication For Successful Marriages and finish the session with a fun-loving look at marriage and F-R-I-E-N-D-S-H-I-P. Practical advice in a guilt-free environment make the teaching real and applicable to all those in attendance.
- Building A Family Legacy
- Earning The Right To Be Heard
- The Restoration Model
- … and more.
Our culture tells teens that they are still children, but the Word of God and history show us otherwise. Why wait until you are 18 or 22 or even 25 and done with your education to start doing things that matter? Ready to be an adult? There is no reason teens can’t begin to impact their world just as young adults have done throughout history. Come get real-life examples and lots of ideas to help you resist the low expectations our society has of your generation and to do real things for God and your world.
Most purity resources these days focus on girls, but purity tends to be a much bigger problem for young men. Those resources that are available often seem hopelessly naïve about the battles our sons are facing. How can you teach your boys to protect the girls in their lives—even from themselves? How can you help them to fight temptation in a world full of inappropriate images? How can you help them make the transition from “it’s not time to think about that…” to finding a wife? Come hear the parents of six sons give you frank, practical advice on raising your son to be a virtuous knight.
Workshops By Session
Noon – 5:00 p.m.
Noon – 2:00 p.m.
Writing Games ~ Kim Kautzer
High School Writing Intensive ~ Andrew Pudewa
1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Photography Orientation ~ James Staddon
1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
How to Begin: What You Really Need to Know ~ Yvonne Bunn
Developing a Plan for High School ~ Dianne Kummer
2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Introduction to Homeschooling ~ Yvonne Bunn
Transcript Clinic ~ Dianne Kummer
3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
The Extraordinary Odyssey: An Expedition Through The Human Body ~ Dr. Lainna Callentine
Creating a Masterpiece Art Camp ~ Sharon Hofer
4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Know the Law: Notifying and Testing Demystified ~ Yvonne Bunn
Special Buddies Meet & Greet
Keynote – 8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Session 1 – 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Teaching Your Child to Read, Made Easy ~ Carol Barnier
From Copywork to Composition: Learning Writing by Imitation ~ Andrew Pudewa
Shining Armor: Your Son’s Battle for Purity ~ Hal & Melanie Young
Classical Christian Education: Its Value and Benefits ~ Marlin Detweiler
Stop the Yelling, Lecturing & Power Struggles ~ Kirk Martin
Learning to Delight in Your Children ~ Marilyn Boyer
You Don’t Have to be Wealthy to Eat Healthy ~ Crystal Paine
The 7 E’s for Choosing Curriculum ~ Jeannie Fulbright
Don’t Tell Me What You Believe…Live It! ~ Todd Wilson
Beyond Beautiful Girlhood ~ Shelley Noonan
You Can Homeschool High School, If You Can Make It Through Tomorrow ~ Diane Kummer
Fearless: Being Dauntless at the Hands of Science (Hands-on Workshop) $$$ ~ Dr. Lainna Callentine
Math From a Biblical Worldview ~ Katherine Loop
College Preparation and the Homeschooled Student ~ Regent University
Healthy Eating Simplified ~ Bread Beckers
TITLE ~ Word Build By Dynamic Literacy
Teaching with Tapestry of Grace ~ Tapestry of Grace
TITLE ~ GeoMatters
Minecraft® and Beyond: Being Creative with Technology ~ Youth Digital
Transforming Your Struggling Reader ~ Bob Jones University
Session 2 – 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Moms’ Economic Panel ~
But…but…but…What About Grammar? ~ Andrew Pudewa
Identifying and Correcting Blocked Learning Gates ~ Dianne Craft
Charlotte Mason: Excellence Without Sacrifice ~ Jeannie Fulbright
In My Seat Event: Steve’s 9/11 Testimony ~ Steve Scheibner
10 Ways to Stop Defiance, Disrespect & Meltdowns ~ Kirk Martin
The Seasons of Life ~ Gregg Harris
Classical Education for the Average Kid ~ Laurie Detweiler
What Every Mother of a Preschooler Needs to Know ~ Kathy Lee
Using Common Chores to Raise Uncommon Kids ~ Crystal Paine
Teaching Discernment ~ Hal & Melanie Young
Raising Dangerous Sons in a Safe and Mediocre World ~ Todd Wilson
Writing Skills: More Important Than Ever! ~ Kim Kautzer
De-Stress Your Homeschool: Creative Ideas for Getting Grandparents Involved Beyond Babysitting ~ Barb & Rich Heki
Why History is the Most Important Subject You Teach ~ Bill Potter
Number Sense: How It Develops in Children ~ Kristin Barbour
Weaving History with His Story ~ Biblioplan for Families
The Benefits of Classical Education ~ Memoria Press
Experience Excellence in Writing ~ Institute for Excellence in Writing
Religious Liberty, Common Core, and the Threats to Homeschooling in Virginia ~ Family Foundation
Speech and Debate Demonstration ~ NCFCA
Session 3 – 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
A Prodigal Speaks Out ~ Carol Barnier
Ballistic Homeschooling ~ Hal Young
Training Your Child’s Photographic Memory ~ Dianne Craft
Imparting a Biblical Worldview to Your Children ~ Jeannie Fulbright
Discipline That Works, When Consequences Don’t ~ Kirk Martin
Successful Home Businesses for Kids ~ Gregg Harris
Greasing the Skids ~ Marlin Detweiler
Manners Matter ~ Shelley Noonan
Say Goodbye to Survival Mode ~ Crystal Paine
Homeschooling a Houseful ~ Melanie Young
Marriage, Communication, and Friendship ~ Steve & Megan Scheibner
Record Keeping for High School: Simplifying the Process ~ Diane Kummer
Growing Your Child’s Writing Vocabulary ~ Kim Kautzer
How to Integrate Art into My Already Busy Day ~ Sharon Hofer
Teaching a Foreign Language ~ Barby Mouring
The Language Arts Tool ̶belt: What You Need to Teach Your Kids and When ~ Analytical Grammar
How to Build Lifelong Learners with Math-U-See ~ Math U See
Have You Ever Dreamed of Owning a Family Business Built on Biblical Principles? ~ Office Pride
TITLE ~ National Institute for Learning Development (NILD)
How to Teach the Principles of the Founding ~ Heritage Foundation
Precept Upon Precept from Spelling to Latin ~ Latin Road
Keynote – 4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
7 a.m. – 8 a.m.
Dads & Donuts: Men on a Mission ~ Todd Wilson
Keynote ̶ 8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Session 4 – 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Teaching the Right-Brain Child ~ Dianne Craft
The Biblical Meaning of Success ~ Hugh Welchel
Perfectionism is Not a Virtue ~ Marla Cilley (The FlyLady)
Solving Your Science Struggles ~ Jeannie Fulbright
Legislative Update ~ Yvonne Bunn
Ken Ham Workshop ~ Ken Ham
Trying Not to Trip Over the Stones: Developmental Milestones Walking With Your Child (0-5 years) ~ Dr. Lainna Callentine
This, We Believe! ~ Todd Wilson
The Making of Mountain Mover ~ Rick Boyer
Doing Real Things For Teens and Their Families ~ Hal & Melanie Young
Cool Critters of the Ice Age ~ Buddy Davis
Writing Across the Curriculum ~ Kim Kautzer
Stop Sibling Fights: Stop Being the Referee ~ Kirk Martin
Getting It All Done ~ Marilyn Boyer
GWP: Grandparenting With Purpose ~ Steve & Megan Scheibner
Revealing Algebra (From a Biblical Worldview) ~ Katherine Loop
TITLE ~ LaClase Divertida
Well Planned Day, Yes It’s Possible ~ HEDUA
How to Teach the Constitution ~ Heritage Foundation
Why Can’t They All Be Just Like Me? ~ Virgina Baptist College
TITLE ~ Apologia
Servant Leadership & Building Your Child’s Transcript ~ National Beta Club
Session 5 – 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Smart Kids Who Hate to Write ~ Dianne Craft
Chocolate with Encouragement ~ Carol Barnier
Shipwrecked or Seaworthy: Three Ways to Keep Your Child’s Boat Afloat ~ Shelley Noonan
Notebooking: Creativity with a Purpose ~ Jeannie Fulbright
College Alternatives ~ Barb & Rich Heki
Taming the Techno ̶Beast: Parenting in the Internet Age ~ Todd Wilson
Making Learning Fun ~ Rick Boyer
Help! How Do I Grade My Kids’ Writing? ~ Kim Kauzter
Homeschool and Home Organization: You CAN Have Both ~ Marla Cilley (The FlyLady)
Rhetoric: The Formidable Discipline ~ Marlin Detweiler
Conquering Corrupt Culture by Raising Christian Communicators ~ Andrew Pudewa
Creative Teaching ~ Laurie Detweiler
Parenting Preteens ~ Hal & Melanie Young
Increase Your Child’s Working Memory and Target Auditory Memory Development ~ Kristin Barbour
Explosive Joy: Reclaiming the Wonder of God Through Art ~ Sharon Hofer
Knowing a Foreign Language is Fun So Learning One Should be Too! ~ Foreign Languages For Kids by Kids®
How to Ace The Sat & Get Free College ~ College Prep Genius
Learning Styles and Right Start Mathematics ~ Right Start Math
Geology Rocks! ~ Corner Stone Educational Supply
The Sound Connection Presentation on AIT and Learning Issues ~ Berard Auditory Integration Training Systems, Inc.
Session 6 – 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Finding Joy in Everything We Do ~ Marla Cilley (The FlyLady)
Music Workshop ~ LUSOM
Mentoring Your Daughter ~ Shelley Noonan
Checks & Balances: Teaching Children to Handle Money Better than the Government Does ~ Hal Young
Homeschooling Your Adopted Child: What You Need to Know ~ Kathy Lee
Choose the Hard Things or How to Keep Going When You Feel Like Giving Up ~ Todd Wilson
“You’re Not the Boss of Me!”: Motivate Strong-Willed Children ~ Kirk Martin
The Character-Conscious Mom ~ Megan Scheibner
Help! I Fell Off My Lesson Plan! ~ Carol Barnier
Don’t Wait Till It’s Too Late ~ Kim Kautzer
Time Management for Kids ~ Gregg Harris
The Importance of Fathers ~ Marlin Detweiler
Heroes: Standing on the Shoulders of Giants ~ Rick Boyer
Walking the Battlefield Brings the Dead to Life ~ Bill Potter
When Grandpa or Grandma Lives With the Homeschooling Family ~ Barb & Rich Heki
Teaching a Foreign Language ~ Barby Mouring
2015 Workshops by Track
Not sure which workshops to choose first?
Walking into the convention for the first time can be overwhelming–the choices are vast! Be sure to look for these interest tracks noted on the Schedule-at-a-Glance (This is just a sampling of what’s available.)
- Increase Your Child’s Working Memory and Target Auditory Memory Development – Kristin Barbour
- A Prodigal Speaks Out – Carol Barnier
- The Extraordinary Odyssey: An Expedition Through The Human Body – Dr. Lainna Callentine
- Photographic Memory – Dianne Craft
- Successful Home Businesses for Kids – Gregg Harris
- Math from a Biblical Worldview – Katherine Loop
- Revealing Algebra – Katherine Loop
- You’re Not the Boss of Me!” Motivate Strong-Willed Children – Barb Mouring
- Beyond Beautiful Girlhood – Shelly Noonan
- Manners Matter – Shelly Noonan
- In My Seat Event: Steve’s 9/11 Testimony – Steve Scheibner
- Raising Dangerous Sons in a Safe and Mediocre World – Todd Wilson
- Choose the Hard Things or How to Keep Going When You Feel Like Giving Up – Todd Wilson
- Taming the Technobeast: Parenting in the Internet Age – Todd Wilson
- Checks & Balances: Teaching Children to Handle Money Better than the Government Does – Hal Young
- Ballistic Home schooling – Hal Young
- Doing Real Things for Teens and Their Families – Hal and Melanie Young
- Number Sense: How It Develops in Children ~ Kristin Barbour
- Increase Your Child’s Working Memory and Target Auditory Memory Development ~ Kristin Barbour
- Teaching Your Child to Read, Made Easy ~ Carol Barnier
- Trying Not to Trip Over the Stones: Developmental Milestones Walking With Your Child (0-5 years) ~ Dr. Lainna Callentine
- Identifying and Correcting Blocked Learning Gates ~ Dianne Craft
- Training Your Child’s Photographic Memory ~ Dianne Craft
- Smart Kids Who Hate to Write ~ Dianne Craft
- Teaching the Right-Brain Child ~ Dianne Craft
- Notebooking: Creativity with a Purpose ~ Jeannie Fulbright
- How to Integrate Art into My Already Busy Day ~ Sharon Hofer
- Don’t Wait Till It’s Too Late ~ Kim Kautzer
- Growing Your Child’s Writing Vocabulary ~ Kim Kautzer
- Writing Across the Curriculum ~ Kim Kautzer
- Writing Games ~ Kim Kautzer
- Writing Skills: More Important Than Ever! ~ Kim Kautzer
- Help! How Do I Grade My Kids’ Writing? ~ Kim Kauzter
- What Every Mother of a Preschooler Needs to Know ~ Kathy Lee
- From Copywork to Composition: Learning Writing by Imitation ~ Andrew Pudewa
- Special-Needs Panel Discussion with Judi Munday and Sarah
- Special-Needs Counseling (In the Lobby)
- Explosive Joy: Reclaiming the Wonder of God through Art
- How to Integrate Art into My Already Busy Day
- Master classes: vocal, piano, and instrumental
- Photography Team*
- Where Can I Go in Music? Aiming the Career Calling of Music Toward Adulthood
- The Biblical Case for Home-Based Education in Music and the Creative Arts
- Taming the Technobeast: Parenting in the Internet Age