|Location: 6477 South Lee Highway
Natural Bridge, Virginia
|Date: Friday, September 21, 2018, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Cost: $15/adult (ages 13 and up); $13/student (ages 6 to 12); free for children aged five and under.|
|Registration: Registration form is here. (Preregister by September 19.) To pay by credit card, download the Credit Card Authorization.|
An HEAV-Sponsored Event
Visit this national historic landmark and enjoy an educational experience that is a unique combination of science, history, and nature. Explore the Natural Bridge and the deepest commercial caverns on the East Coast.
Described in 1774 by owner Thomas Jefferson as “nature’s cathedral”, this renowned stone bridge is history’s looking-glass; 20 stories of rock carved by the fingers of nature. Much more than just a day-trip, The Natural Bridge has numerous activities for the whole family:
- Discover the world of amphibians and reptiles in the herpetology program.
- Understand the K-9 policeman’s most valuable partner.
- Interact with the Monacan Indian living history exhibit.
- Learn rope making
- Spelunk 34 stories of caverns and learn about cave critters
- Enjoy the “Karst Environment Walk and Talk.”
- Enter the Child Fire-Safety Trailer
- Learn about forestry and fire ecology
- See the VA DEQ’s (Virginia Department of Environmental Quality) “Enviroscape.”
- Check out Meteorology 101 at the caverns.
- Enjoy the “Skull and Skins” program at the Visitor Center.
- Learn CPR and First Aid.
- Gem mining is also available at the caverns for just an additional $4.
- Walk on the Cedar Creek Trail to the saltpeter mine, the Lost River, and the Lace Falls.
- Learn about mammal tracks at the Visitor Center for just an additional $2
More Information: Be sure to bring a light jacket and wear closed toed shoes as actively growing caverns are cool and may be wet.
Picnic areas are available at the cavern’s pavilion and wooded area, as well as at the Cascade Falls picnic area and near the Cedar Creek Café. The Archway Deli is open from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. and Cedar Creek Café is open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Registration and payment can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, faxed to (540) 291-1896, or mailed to
15 Appledore Lane
P.O. Box 87
Natural Bridge, VA 24578
Please make checks payable to Caverns at Natural Bridge.
Questions? See the website, or contact Bob Moore at email@example.com, or 540-291-4756.
Registration Form (coming soon)
From I-81 Southbound:
Take Exit 180A US-11 South (left exit).
Proceed 3.6 miles on Route 11 South until you see the Visitor Center.
Pull into the large parking lot.
From I-81 Northbound:
Take exit 175 US-11 North and proceed 1.6 miles.
At the convergence of Route 11 and Route 130, turn right into Visitor Center parking lot.