Supercharge your musical capability! Unlock the secrets of successful sight reading and musical technique.
Many students find reading music difficult because reading music involves understanding foundations of music, which usually is not taught until college.
This free online music class offered by Bender Conservatory covers notes, intervals, scales, chords, time signatures, rhythms, and the scientific principals behind interval relationships. Students will greatly improve their music comprehension and sight-reading ability.
- Local students who want to participate in the conservatory’s spring 2021 Homeschool Choir or Orchestra classes can take this class now, in lieu of enrolling in the Foundations of Music I in the spring, so take advantage of this special offer through HEAV
Dates & Times: Online Music Class
Daily from 10 a.m. to noon
October 19 to 23. (Class Dates: October 19, 20, 21, 22, and 23)
Just log in to your member benefits page and get your link!
The course consists of FIVE 60-minute sessions and is most appropriate for students ages 5 to 13.
HOW TO SIGN UP FOR MUSIC FOUNDATIONS I
This $80 class is FREE for HEAV Members!
- IMPORTANT: Be sure to snag your coupon code from your member benefits page to register free!
- Not a member? JOIN TODAY for $45. Enjoy this class for FREE and take advantage of HEAV member benefits all year long. (Plus, you’ll support a worthy cause.)
Open to students in grade six and higher (approximately 11+ years old). Teens and adults are welcome to take the class as well. Class is held over Zoom. Any student who sings or plays an instrument (any instrument!) will find this class extremely useful.
- Notebook, for taking notes.
- Staff paper notebook, or print at least thirty sheets of staff paper from your printer.
- Piano, or electronic keyboard, with alphabet stickers on the keys. Students must take this class while sitting at a piano or electronic keyboard, even if you have never played a piano or keyboard before.
About the Instructor:
John Bender is a full-time private music instructor and performer with 35years of performance experience, conducting various ensembles and productions for 21 years. In 2001, he received favorable reviews from The Washington Post and The Reston Times and was nominated for best music director by the Washington Area Theatre Community Honors Society for his music direction of 1776 by Sherman Edwards, produced by the Reston Community. In 2004, he was the tenor section l for the master chorale of South Florida under Maestro Joe Michael Schibe for
Beethoven’s 9th with Cleveland Orchestra under the baton of Franz Welser-Möst.
Mr. John Bender
Note: Music and teaching are my passion. As homeschoolers ourselves, we are deeply involved with our children’s lives, education, and values. We are becoming more involved with homeschool communities. Since homeschoolers have limited opportunity to participate in musical ensembles, we are starting choirs and orchestras for homeschool students, beginning in Spring 2021.
- Master of Music, Choral Conducting, Central Michigan University, Mt Pleasant, MI 2011
- Bachelor of Arts, Music Major, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 2000
- High School Diploma, The Bullis School, Potomac, Maryland. Freshman and Senior Music Award Recipient