An HEAV Sponsored Event
The Virginia Military Institute maintains the 300-acre New Market Battlefield State Historical Park where the Battle of New Market was fought on May 15, 1864. A total of 257 VMI Cadets, the youngest only 15 years old, fought on the grounds and tragically saw five killed and more than 40 wounded that day.
8895 George Collins Parkway, New Market
Saturday, March 23, 2010, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Cost (Special rate for homeschoolers):
$3/person, ages six to adult
The site today also features the historic Bushong Farm and the large Virginia Museum of the Civil War with its Emmy-winning film, Field of Lost Shoes, and extensive galleries. Bring your students and have fun for the day and make memories for a lifetime!
Hands-on activities for all ages include:
- Join the Confederate Army and learn to drill,
- Dance the Virginia Reel,
- Try 19th-century games and crafts,
- Watch the Emmy-award winning film Field of Lost Shoes, and
- Learn about historic food customs.
- Take Exit 264 off I-81 onto Rt. 211 West.
- Take an immediate right onto Rt. 305 (George Collins Parkway)
- Continue north up the road and underneath a Commonwealth of Virginia sign overhead
- The circular Virginia Museum of the Civil War building is located at the end of the parkway.
- Do not be confused by a neighboring property beside the Days Inn. This is a private business and is not affiliated with the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Follow the brown and blue signs along the Interstate and Route 305 until you arrive at the circular Virginia Museum of the Civil War.