The Alliance (The National Alliance of Christian Home Education Leadership) has declared November 3, 2017, to be National Homeschool Day of Prayer. Though we will most certainly pray for the homeschooling families in Virginia, for our legislature, and for our local school officials, let us make a special intervention for the homeschooling families of New York, the most highly regulated state in the nation. In Virginia, we have been blessed for almost 35 years with the right to homeschool our children relatively free from government intervention or restrictions. It is not the case in New York.
In New York state, homeschool families must submit seven different documents to their school district annually–for each child. The regulations are overseen by the New York State Education Department (SED) and administered by the Superintendent of Education of each of the hundreds of school districts across New York. This causes great stress upon and even oppression of homeschool families as they work through the varying requirements. New York’s home education association, LEAH (Loving Education at Home), has requested prayer for several specific areas.
- This is a spiritual battle. While might is needed, the battle will be won by prayer. Pray for victories in the spiritual realm that will pave the way for victories on the ground.
- The weekend of November 3 and 4 is LEAH’s annual Fall Fellowship event for the regional leaders. Pray for the Holy Spirit to strengthen and equip them for the work at hand.
- Pray that God will raise up more laborers to share the vision and more resources to meet the challenges.
- During this fall season, LEAH is targeting a dozen New York Assemblymen who can collectively force needed legislation out of committee for a vote. Pray for favor in the halls of power, for wisdom, for protection, and for victory.
- Homeschoolers in many districts are burdened by those who “oversee” the application of NY’s homeschool regulations. Pray that homeschoolers will have the wisdom, the courage, and accurate information to counter these attacks successfully.
- With the aid of HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association), several NY homeschoolers have filed a lawsuit against the City of New York and its Education Department for its long history of harassing homeschoolers. Pray for wisdom and insight for the legal team, and that the outcome of this lawsuit will have a statewide impact and improve the homeschooling environment for all.
This day of prayer is being supported by: The Alliance (The National Alliance of Christian Home Education Leadership), HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association), Home Educators Association of Virginia, and other state organizations.
You might also enjoy our Homeschool Classroom “The Gift of Prayer.”