Homeschool Virginia Questions and Answers

Diploma Lost

Q. I’m about to send in my Notice of Intent, but my diploma is lost. I can’t find it anywhere. Should I use option 4 (iv) on the NOI?

A. You can, but you have another option. You should contact your high school or college and ask for a copy of your transcript. This document will have a graduation date which is proof of completion. Be sure to send your Notice of Intent by August 15. Add a note that you have requested your transcript, and will send it as soon as you receive it.

Option 4 is primarily for parents who do not have a high school diploma or who may have a GED, which is not accepted as a diploma for home instruction.

Although option 4 does not require a diploma of any kind, you must submit a letter explaining why you are able to provide an adequate education for your child. The superintendent will make a subjective decision on your ability to homeschool based on your letter. You must send in a carefully written, well-constructed letter; that is very important.

In contrast, when you show evidence of compliance with one of the other options—a high school diploma or transcript for option 1; a teaching license for option 2; or evidence of enrollment in a correspondence course or distance learning program for option 3—no questions are asked. The process is automatic.

*Text HEAV to 88588 to get a text reminder when the Update is published on Wednesdays!

Like This Series?

Get the next one delivered right to your inbox!
Subscribe now!
Recent Posts
Sticks, Stones, and Chicken Bones How can HSLDA help me? Join today!
Free Homeschool Deals Homeschool Foundation
Little Learning Lovies vex_robotics
Scroll to top
Skip to content