The business systems analyst/data manager assists the finance manager and other staff in meeting the organization’s goals and objectives, and in carrying out operations of the HEAV central office in Richmond. Hours are approximately 12-15 hours per week, possibly more, depending on the time of the year and project needs.
Required skills, strengths, and abilities
- IT knowledge
- Excellent communications skills
- Strong analytical/organizational skills
- Strong problem solving and collaboration skills
- Excellent customer-service skills
- Professional demeanor
- Homeschool experience
- Spiritual maturity
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversee and manage data and data entry; maintain accuracy and integrity of data; make sure address and e-mail changes obtained from post office, NCOA report, or individuals are updated in the database; remove from mailing list names with no forwarding addresses
- Maintain e-mail lists in database and Constant Contact; add and remove e-mail addresses as requested by interested individuals; add and remove HEAV members from the member list
- Develop/execute variety of queries as needed
- Create meetings and events within database structure
- Expand database module functions
- Answer/direct incoming communications to appropriate personnel
This is a part-time position; pay is approximately $12/hour, commensurate with experience.
Interested? Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The HEAV legislative team is looking for individuals who believe in home education and want to influence the legislative process by monitoring activities at the Virginia General Assembly! Volunteers must be available to go to the General Assembly in Richmond for a few hours, one or two mornings a week during January and February.
The perfect candidates would be “retired” homeschooling parents who are passionate about protecting home education and homeschool graduates who would like to stand out by including “assistant lobbyist” on their job resume or college application! No experience is necessary—we will train you!
A small daily stipend for parking and meals would be provided.
- Attend committee meetings on short notice (the day before the meeting)
- Listen attentively and take notes on homeschool issues as directed by the HEAV lobbyist
- Transcribe notes into Google Docs the same day of the committee meeting
- Attend a weekly conference call team meeting and maintain good communication with the lobbyist and director of government affairs.
- Solid organizational skills
- Good written communication skills
- Experience with Google Docs
- Emotional Maturity: willingness to learn and work on a team
- Flexibility with work schedule
- Strong work ethic
- Provide own transportation
- Dress in business attire
- Excellent résumé builder, especially with other nonprofits and policy groups
- A great stand-out item on college applications that shows leadership
- An opportunity to develop personal relationships and receive mentoring from professionals
- Unprecedented leadership and organizational experience
Most importantly, you’ll be enabling HEAV to fight for parental and homeschooling rights throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia
Send your résumé to email@example.com with HEAV Lobbyist Assistant Position in the subject line. Include a day-time phone number and e-mail address. Applications will close December 19, 2014.
The graphic design assistant or intern is responsible for updating, revising, or creating new graphical materials as necessary. Materials will include such items as web banners, e-mail graphics, name badges, tickets, brochure, fliers, logos, etc. Extensive experience is not required, but applicants do need to have an eye for design, attention to detail, a good Internet connection, and experience with (as well as a working copy of) Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. The work can all be done from home. This position is ideal for someone with experience who wants a creative outlet or a mature young person looking for an opportunity to try out and grow his or her talent. Possible small stipend.
Required skills, strengths, and abilities
- Ability to work independently, yet welcome group input and suggestions
- Strong graphical skills
- Ability to be creative and add freshness while maintaining consistency within HEAV’s graphics
- Access to a working copy of–and experience with–Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Ability to work across platforms
- Hi-speed Internet connection
Ongoing responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Update, revise, or create new graphics as necessary
- Review projects and give estimate of time to complete
- Contact person requesting graphic to make sure needs are fully understood
- When necessary, verify specifications with printer to make sure design is done to the correct specs
- Work with graphic designer, publications director, or communications manager on content.
- Send draft to needed people and incorporate their changes until finished
Sound interesting? Send information about yourself and samples of your work or a portfolio to Maureen Bittner at firstname.lastname@example.org with Graphic Assistant Position in the subject line.