Need books and materials for next year? Come shop at the HEAV Used Curriculum Sale. The earlier you register for the convention, the earlier you’ll get to shop! Want the opportunity to turn unneeded homeschooling materials into cash? See our instructions for selling your materials.
Please Note: We are in Exhibit Hall D this year.
HOW TO SHOP IN THE USED CURRICULUM SALE
You must be registered for the convention to work or shop in the UCS.
- On Friday, June 6, early entry to the UCS will be available for volunteers first and then for those who are registered for the convention. The earlier you pre-register, the earlier you may shop. When you shop, you will turn in the colored pass you received at registration.
- You may take as long as you need to look and make your selections—your time in the sale is not limited. You do not have to enter at the exact time your pass specifies. Your pass will allow you to enter anytime AFTER THE TIME PRINTED ON IT.
- Shopping is open to all attendees beginning at 3 p.m. on Friday.
- Children, strollers, carts, wagons, and purses will be allowed in the UCS. You may bring in empty boxes or bags for carrying books. We usually have some boxes available. Please do not bring in shopping bags, large purses, or previously purchased items—a package check will be available.
- The quantity and quality of materials in the UCS depends entirely on the materials brought in by the homeschoolers who participate. HEAV is NOT a supplier of these materials. We cannot guarantee what will be available, nor the condition, edition, or usability of materials. Check the materials BEFORE you buy. ALL SALES ARE FINAL. NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN.
- We accept cash, personal checks (made out to HEAV), or credit cards (VISA and MasterCard).
EARLY SHOPPING NOTES (Friday, June 6)
If you are pre-registered for the convention, you will receive a confirmation stating your entrance time to the UCS. Upon arrival at the convention, visit the pre-registration table to pick up your convention nametag(s) and UCS pass(es). The entry time is printed on the pass. You MUST bring your pass to shop early. If you are a volunteer, you must bring your UCS Early Entrance Pass to shop early. If you are a volunteer and don’t have a pass, please see Jennifer Jessen at the Volunteer Table next to Registration in the main lobby.
|Friday June 6||Saturday June 7|
|7 a.m.||7 a.m.|
|8 a.m.||8 a.m.||DROP-OFF||OPEN SHOPPING
|10 a.m.||SHOPPING FOR
SEE YOUR PASS
FOR EXACT TIME
|11 a.m.||11 a.m.|
|1 p.m.||1 p.m.|
|2 p.m.||2 p.m.||CLOSED
|3 p.m.||DROP-OFF||OPEN SHOPPING FOR
|4:30 p.m.||4:30 p.m.||PICK-UP|
|5 p.m.||5 p.m.|
|6 p.m.||6 p.m.|
|6:30 p.m.||6:30 p.m.|
|7 p.m.||7 p.m.|
WE NEED VOLUNTEERS!
Remember, anyone volunteering for at least two hours at the convention is eligible to shop early in the UCS. If you volunteer in any area, you will receive a UCS Early Entrance Pass that entitles you to shop at the UCS at 9 a.m. on Friday, June 6. If you are interested in volunteering in the UCS, please fill out the Volunteer Application.
Q: Do I have to pay to shop in the UCS?
A: Yes. UCS admission is included with these registration options:
- Full-Convention Registration
- Shopping-Only Pass
Q: What kinds of things will I find for sale?
A: The items in the UCS include books on almost every subject, for every grade. Items vary from unit studies to reference materials to how-to books to teacher education resources. We also tend to have an abundant supply of CDs, videos, and computer software. View a complete list of grades, subjects, and categories.
Q: May I shop in the UCS any time during the convention?
A: No. Admittance to the UCS is only by colored pass (given to all pre-registered convention attendees) until the open shopping hours. Admittance time on pass is based on registration date–the earlier you register, the earlier you will be able to shop. Exception: Volunteers may take advantage of early shopping on Friday from 9 to 10 a.m.
|9 a.m. – 10 a.m.||Volunteers Only
Early entry to the UCS will be available for volunteers who have served, or are scheduled to serve, for a minimum of two hours at the convention.
|10 a.m. – 3 p.m.||Pre-Registered Shopping Hours
If you pre-register but are not a two-hour volunteer, you will receive a colored pass stating the time at which you may begin shopping. The earlier you pre-register, the earlier your entrance time will be.
|3 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.||Open Shopping
All registered convention attendees will be admitted to the UCS.
|8 a.m. – 2 p.m.||Open Shopping
All registered convention attendees will be admitted to the UCS.
Q: How many items may I buy?
A: You may buy as many items as you want; you are not limited on the number of items you may purchase.
Q: How do I pay for my items?
A: We accept cash, personal checks (made out to HEAV), and credit cards (VISA and MasterCard).
Q: May my children shop with me in the UCS?
A: Yes, your children are welcome to shop with you in the UCS; however, we request that all children be accompanied by a responsible adult.
Q: May I bring something into the UCS to carry my books?
A: Yes, you may bring in strollers, carts, wagons, boxes, or bags to carry the items you plan to purchase. We usually have some boxes available. Please do not bring in shopping bags, large purses, or previously purchased items. A package check will be provided for the convenience of our UCS shoppers.
Q: Is my shopping time in the UCS limited?
A: No. You may begin shopping any time after the time stated on your colored pass, and you may stay in the hall as long as you wish, within the stated UCS hours. HOWEVER, you will turn in your pass when you are admitted, and you may only shop once before 3 p.m. on Friday. (After 3 p.m., the UCS shopping opens to all registered convention attendees and you may come and go as often as you wish.)
Q: Why does shopping close so early on Saturday (2 p.m.)?
A: All of the unsold items have to be resorted and ready for the sellers to pick up by 4:30 p.m. Last year, we had more than 29,000 items to sort. The first step in this process is to sort the unsold items into two categories: pick-up or donate. This is determined by the seller and designated on the labels. The pick-up items are gathered and sorted by last name. The donated items are collected and put into an area of the hall where shoppers can come and glean for those items that did not fit into their budget. This process takes more than two hours and requires many volunteers. If you are interested in volunteering during this time, please contact our on-site UCS volunteer coordinator and ask to be scheduled. You may reach her at volunteers@HEAV.org or by filling out our Volunteer Application.