Are You a Musician?
Share the talent you’ve worked so hard to develop! HEAV is excited to announce an expanded music competition for convention participants.
Music competition registration deadline has been extended to April 25, 2016!
Applications are being accepted January 11, 2016, through April 25, 2016.
The competition is open to any currently homeschooled student.
Applicants must preregister for the convention.
Application fee: $10 Member/$15 Non-member
The categories are:
- Solo vocalist (with or without accompaniment)
- Solo instrumentalist (with or without accompaniment)
- Solo Pianist
Registration is closed.
Prizes will be awarded to first-, second-, and third-place winners in each category!
A huge “thank you” to our sponsor, Liberty University School of Music, for making this competition possible!
- The competition will be held at the 33rd Annual Virginia Homeschool Convention in Richmond, on Thursday afternoon (June 9, 2016), from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- The competition is open to any currently homeschooled student, high school senior and under. Accompanists may be any age. Past first-place winners are not eligible to compete in the same category, but they may ask to be considered for participation in a master class.
- Music should be classical, sacred, or traditional.
- Contestants may choose from one of three categories: piano, vocal, or instrumental. (no drums, please)
- Each competitor shall render only one musical selection to be performed in five minutes or less. In order to keep within the five-minute time limit, the competitor may eliminate part of his musical selection. The part to be removed must be marked on the score for the information of the judges.
- Competitors shall provide one (1) original scores for the information of the judges.
- Evaluation sheets with judges’ comments will be given to the competitor at the end of his competition.
- Dressing up is recommended as your appearance will reflect on your stage presence.
- Participants will be judged on mastery of his instrument in the following areas:
- faithfulness to score
- technique interpretation
- stage presence
- complexity of composition
- memorization (recommended)
- First-, second-, and third-place winners will be determined in each of the categories.
- First-place winners will be presented at a keynote session to perform their winning piece for the attendees. Therefore, first-place winners must agree to be present at their designated keynote sessions on either Friday, June 10, or Saturday, June 11. The piano and vocal category winners will play at one of the keynote sessions on Friday, and the instrumental winner will play on Saturday.
- Since there will be a limited number of competitors, applications will be accepted until the performance time-allotment is filled.
- HEAV reserves the right to decline an applicant based on the rules of the competition and the appropriateness of the musical selection.
- Judges decisions are final.
Music Competition FAQs
Second place in each category: $50
(There are also some additional, special prizes that will be announced shortly.)
Buy It Here
Children and Teens
Discounts and Deals
Free “How-to-Begin” Workshops
Get the Word Out
Information and Security
Maps and Directions
Parents of Preschoolers
Used Curriculum Sale