Something for Everyone at the Homeschool Convention!
Teenagers have a claim on the 34th Annual Virginia Homeschool Convention that is all their own. There is something for EVERY interest, from fine arts to mathematics–and nearly everything in between!
Find out ALL about homeschooling your high schooler and getting the resources you need HEAV’s 2017 Virginia Homeschool Convention.
The STEM Teen Program is a fun, educational–and sometimes explosive–experience for teens ages 12 and up, with a series of five stand-alone units on rockets, “super slime,” catapults, bridges, and science-in-a-bag!
The math tournament by Action Math Baseball is brand-new this year and gives students a chance to 1) learn math in a fun and engaging way by managing a baseball team and 2) take that experience to real life by participating in a tournament onsite!
Now in its fourth year, the photography team, is reaching new heights in photojournalism and event photography! Open for teens ages 15 and up, experience is not required; aspiring photographers from beginning to advanced levels are welcome!
The music competition offers a great opportunity for students to gain performance experience and compete for cash prizes! Don’t want to compete? Share your musical talent through the background music ministry!
The ever-popular chess championships takes place on Saturday morning at the convention and is open to homeschooled students through twelfth grade!
High School Tracks
There are dozens of workshops of interest to teens, as well as workshops geared toward the parents of teenagers. Check out these highlights:
High Schoolers & Parents
- Debt-Free Degree ~ Jonathan Brush
- What Students Should Learn Before They Launch ~ Jonathan Brush
- Developing a Plan for High School: Sample Four-Year Plans ~ Diane Kummer
- High School Transcript Clinic: Practical Help and Tips ~ Diane Kummer
- You Can Homeschool High School…If You Can Make It Through Tomorrow! ~ Diane Kummer
- Charting Your Way through High School for College, Workforce, or Military ~ Diane Kummer
- Building on a Sure Foundation: Staying the Course Through High School ~ Diane Kummer
- Essential Skills for Successful Teens: Study and Time Management ~ Diane Kummer
- Tackling Tricky High School Issues: Practical Help and Guidance for Homeschooling High School Students with Special Needs ~ Faith Berens
- The Truth about Work and What I Wished I Had Learned Before College ~ Hugh Welchel
- The Biblical Meaning of Success ~ Hugh Welchel
- Demystifying Finding Aid for Higher Education ~ Lorraine Santa Lucia
- College Fair Panel ~ Various Colleges
- College Admission Mythbusters and the Homeschool Student ~ Regent College
- Creating a Roadmap for High School ~ HSLDA Academy
- Free College at Your Fingertips ~ College Prep Genius
- What Teens Don’t Know About the Bible—But Should ~ Eric Smith
Of Interest to High Schoolers
- Josiah–A Four-Part Series ~ Phil Tuttle (Keynote)
- The Amazing Chemistry Show ~ Josh Denhart (Keynote)
- “But What Good Is an English Major?” – A Homeschool Graduate Reflects on the Benefits of a Literary Education ~ Ian Andrews
- X and Y Got Nothin’ on Me: Algebra Like a Boss ~ Ruth Cooper
- Who is the King in America and Who Are His Counselors? ~ William Federer
Miracles in American History ~ William Federer
- Seven Principles of Sound Public Policy ~ Lawrence Reed
The Origin, Nature, and History of Money ~ Lawrence Reed
- What’s a Worldview? And Why Do Worldviews Matter? ~ Eric Smith
- Critical Thinking: Thinking Clearly in a Confused Culture ~ Eric Smith
- The Hunters & the Hunted ~ Mike Snavely
- Grand Canyon ~ Mike Snavely
- Spiders ~ Mike Snavely
- The Pillars of Evolution ~ Mike Snavely
- Lost Secrets of the Ancient Civilizations ~ Mike Snavely
Enter to win one of these fabulous giveaways from HEAV 2017 convention exhibitors!
Bridgeway Academy Party Favor!
Discover your family’s learning and personality style, compliments of Bridgeway Academy! They are offering all HEAV families a free, l Learning Style Assessment ( a $39.99 value) that encourages all families to better communicate with each other, work together, and love learning!
Just visit learningstyles.me and use coupon code EARLYHEAV at checkout.
By taking this assessment now, you can get additional resources and benefits that will help you teach any subject to your child’s learning style. Learn more at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnrkCmQiIAc
Be sure to visit Bridgeway Academy at the HEAV Virginia Homeschool Convention in June!
Action Math Baseball
Imagine your kids begging YOU for extra math practice? Action Math Baseball is giving away not one but FIVE free subscriptions to its fun, engaging baseball math program. Sign up online for this browser-based simulation program, and your students can learn middle-school math by managing a real-life, major league baseball team. This browser-based simulation can be effectively used to supplement your homeschool math curriculum.
While motivating students in a fun and engaging way, this program supports your math curriculum by using baseball concepts to bring math to life. AMB is making it even MORE fun by operating a Math “World Series” Tournament at the convention. (Signing up for a subscription does not obligate a student to participate in the tournament, though.)
Enter today for a chance to win a free, three-month subscription—and help your child get started on a life-long love of math!
Find out more about the Action Math Tournament here.
Enter to win a FREE, seven-month subscription membership to KidMin Science’s incredible Science Devotions@Home !
Josh Denhart is presenting the STEM Teen Program at the convention–and be sure to hear his keynote, The Amazing Chemistry Show, on Saturday morning. It’s an experience for the whole family!
BJU Press/HomeWorks by Precept Giveaway!
BJU Press is offering one FREE online video subject kit (with textbooks) of your choice! This offer is valued at $299. Enter below for a chance to win!
Learn more about this product here!
This giveaway will remain open until April 18, 2017!
Institute for Excellence in Writing – $50 Gift Certificate
Win a $50 gift certificate for the Institute for Excellence in Writing, an award-winning approach to teaching students how to write well, think clearly, and communicate effectively!
Be sure to visit IEW’s booth in the Exhibit Hall at the convention!
Applied Inspirations, LLC Gift Certificate – Gift Certificate
Enter to win a $20 Gift Card towards any of Applied Inspirations, LLC hands-on Electronic Kits.
Applied Inspirations offers unique, hands-on electronic kits to encourage students to learn electronics by doing—and have fun at the same time.
“Don’t Just Build Something . . . Learn Something!”
Be sure to visit their booth at the convention in June! They will be offering learn-to-solder classes during the entire convention! This hands-on experience has changed children’s direction in life when they discover how much fun and exciting soldering and electronics can be.
Have you wanted to teach your child these skills but either did not have the time or know how to teach them? Do not miss this opportunity for your child to experience this technology / career path and take home the circuit they build.
Applied Inspirations also offers a hands-on, self-instructional electronics curriculum (Mothers, you do not need to know or learn electronics!) that can lead to a job as an electronic technician. Other educational electronic kits are also available for ages six to adult.
NorthStar Academy – Gift Certificate
NorthStar Academy $50 credit towards a course with NorthStar! Course prices ranges from $208 to $725 for a year-long course.
Find out more about NorthStar Academy, and be sure to visit their booth at the convention in June!
Write from the Heart – Gift Certificate
Enter to win a $25 gift card for Write from the Heart!
2017 Family Convention Registration!
HEAV’s Homeschool Family Favorites Cookbook
Enter for a chance to win HEAV’s first cookbook, chock full of recipes that are perfect for homeschool families–large and small!
Love these giveaways for homeschool families with teens?
Why not share them with your friends! Or PIN THIS FOR LATER! And be sure to stop by the websites and social media for all of our donors who generously gave these gifts so we could give them to you! 🙂