Q. Do I still have to submit test scores if I’ve decided not to homeschool next year?

A. A-The law says if you provide home instruction, you must provide either testing results or an evaluation or assessment for the previous homeschool school year by August 1. §22.2-254.1(C) states the following:

The parent who elects to provide home instruction shall provide the division superintendent by August 1 following the school year in which the child has received home instruction with either (i) evidence that the child has attained a composite score in or above the fourth stanine on any nationally normed standardized achievement test or (ii) an evaluation or assessment which the division superintendent determines to indicate that the child is achieving an adequate level of educational growth and progress, including but not limited to: (a) an evaluation letter from a person licensed to teach in any state, or a person with a master’s degree or higher in an academic discipline, having knowledge of the child’s academic progress, stating that the child is achieving an adequate level of educational growth and progress; or (b) a report card or transcript from a community college or college, college distance learning program, or home-education correspondence school.

Test results or an assessment should be submitted to the division superintendent or his designee (the same person with whom you filed your Notice of Intent) by August 1.


FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+Blogger PostPinterestGoogle GmailShare/Bookmark