Posted on Jan 19 2013 in Events by admin
Isle of Wight County Museum
Location: 103 Main Street, Smithfield
Date: Friday, April 19, 2013, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Cost: The event is free, but registration is required.
Description: Take a progressive tour of various sites and experience a wide variety of history in Isle of Wight County!
- Begin your tour at the Isle of Wight County Museum in Smithfield to learn about the early history of Native Americans and colonial settlements in the area. See the world’s oldest peanut and the world’s oldest ham.
- Travel on to Boykin’s Tavern at the county’s courthouse and learn about rural colonial Virginia and court days.
- Continue your tour at historic Fort Huger, a Civil War-era fort developed for the protection of the James River form the Union Flotilla.
- End your tour at Fort Boykin, first constructed in 1623 for the early settlements and later expanded during the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Civil War.
- You can make an optional stop at Carrollton-Nike Park—a former cold war Nike missile site and now a park facility.
For more information, visit the website: http://www.historicisleofwight.com/family-fun.html