Posted on Aug 15 2012 in Events by admin
An HEAV-Sponsored Event!
Location: 3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway, Mount Vernon, Virginia. Historic Mount Vernon is located 16 miles south of Washington, D.C., and 8 miles south of Old Town, Alexandria, on the banks of the Potomac River. Get directions here.
Date: Friday, November 2, 2012, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Cost: Special rates for homeschool families: $7 for homeschool students (ages 6-18); $10 for adults; free for children 5 and under. (Save $5-$6 per ticket!)
Registration: Advanced ticket purchase is recommended at www.MountVernon.org/Homeschool.
Description: Experience 18th-century plantation life during this special one-day event!
- Meet people from George Washington’s world.
- Tour Washington’s Mansion.
- Learn about George Washington’s innovative farming practices.
- Participate in a special wreath-laying ceremony at Washington’s Tomb.
- Watch costumed interpreters produce 18th-century goods.
- Visit a reconstructed slave cabin.
- Play colonial games.
- See animals like horses, mules, sheep, and oxen.
- Visit our state-of-the-art Museum and Education Center.
Additional Information: As this is an outdoor event, please dress appropriately for all weather possibilities. Water bottles are welcomed on the estate. While food is not permitted at the Pioneer Farm site, lunches can be purchased at the Food Court or in the Mount Vernon Inn restaurant.
For more information, visit www.MountVernon.org/Homeschool.